Quantcast

An update on my big strawberry venture.

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
Okay, I wanted to do at least 10 gallons of strawberry and Saint Vino blessed me with the u-pick.
So to give every one an idea of what's going on. I ended up with three five gallon primaries with 25 lbs in each. In each I put 1 3/4 gallon of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of P/E plus my nutrient and energiser. That was on Sat. evening.
Now 4 days later I transfered the mess into carboys to do it's thing. The starting SG on Sunday was 1.03 because I was a little short on sugar. I added another 10 lbs Monday.
Today when I put it into carboys I had a SG of 1.035.
What I'm getting to with this is that after straining out everything I could with a long handled strainer, I only got 2 gallons of strainable solids. Now I had added 12 gallons of water to 75 lbs of strawberries. I ended up with 18 gallons of carboys. I know there will be a lot of sediment in these carboys. I hope to end up with 10 to 12 gallons of wine.
My point is that I think you could add very little water to the berries with the P/E. From 75 lbs of berries, I ended up with 6 gallons of juice.

Tom

Reaction score
1st I would have DOUBLED the primaries to 6 5 gal primaries. 25# in a bucket will not leave much room for water. So, Based on what you said I'm thinking its gonna be light in % If you only got 2+ gal of must you are off by 3 gallons. so, your sg is cut by more than 1/2.

What I do is add 3 gallons of water to bucket w sugar to 1.085 add 12-15# of strawberries to a paint straining bag and tie it off. Then continue w/ PE, Nutrient acid test, yeast..etc.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
That is how I cleaned the berries, right into a five gallon primary. I put just enough water into them to cover the berries and add the P/E. Then the next day I transfer all of it into one big tub and added 15 lbs of sugar in 4 gallons of water. The next day added another 10 lbs in 2 gallons of water. All together I added about 12 gallons of water to the 75 pounds of berries.
The first and second SG was in the big tub.

Tom

Reaction score
oh OK guess i'm confused ...LOL :d
I misread ...

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
How ever it turns out, I'll be happy. I figure if I have to I'll add a BIG f-pac to it. I hope to let it ferment for a while in the carboys and start to settle out. Then slowly get down to my 10 to 12 gallons of clear drinkable wine. I have a carboy of strawberry jam wine going now. About to stop fermenting in a few days. I have added one 2 lb of additional strawberrys to it and the color is very very red.
If my all strawberry turns out like this one looks, fine.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
I know the carboys are all fermenting very strong with quite a bit of foam coming to the top. I had to take a little out of one from where it puked into the air lock. So it must still be making alcohol.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Sounds pretty good but I must admit I get lost in the post as I have a short attention span.

Tom

Reaction score
LOL and I thought I was the only one "lost" LOL

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
To shorten it up,,,
75 lbs of cut up berries
25 lbs of sugar
12 gallons of water,
all in one big bucket.
After 4 days of falling apart, I ended up with about 18 gallons in carboys, but there will be lots of sediment settling out.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Tats a little low on frit after everything is tallied up for volume but not bad.