An Ingenious Way To Degas Your Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlennK

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried this and what results did you experience? I did and I thought the results were very interesting.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjL80hXkHdI[/ame]

I prefer a harbor freight brake bleeder.

AS an aside, those bubbles looked pretty big to me. Was it fully degassed?

I used to use one of those, Glen, in conjunction with stirring and it worked quite well. The I got a vacuum pump from Wade and that's all I use now for degassing since it is so easy and quick.

I used to use one of those, Glen, in conjunction with stirring and it worked quite well. The I got a vacuum pump from Wade and that's all I use now for degassing since it is so easy and quick.

I can't see anything else being any easier......what did the pump cost you and how does it work?

I tried it prior to getting a gas getter. Yes, it works but it takes such a long time I gave up and tried something else . A lot of people prefer the All-in-one, I prefer the Gas Getter.

I tried it prior to getting a gas getter. Yes, it works but it takes such a long time I gave up and tried something else . A lot of people prefer the All-in-one, I prefer the Gas Getter.

What's a gas Getter?

I can't see anything else being any easier......what did the pump cost you and how does it work?
Vacuum pumps cost anywhere from roughly $75 to $200 depending on new or used. Many of us use medical aspirator pumps so if you can find one of those you would be fine. The all-in-one pump referenced is a vacuum pump. They work by submitting the wine to a vacuum which sucks the CO2 out of it. I generally achieve most of my degassing by racking with the pump (pump from bucket to carboy or carboy to carboy) at regular racking times so there is actually no extra work. You can also attach the pump to a carboy and apply a vacuum directly to the wine in it and this usually takes only a few minutes.
The secret to any degassing though, is temperature of the wine - get it to around 75* F and it will degas much easier than if it is colder.

I actually had one of my bottles pop it's cork.....I've been making wine for over 15 years and this is the first for me.....I guess I;ll go back to the old fashion way....stir the gases out!

i made my vacuum pump, transfer and bottler for old ac compressor and capacitor..works great.

I saw your YT video before finding this forum and am have for my last two kits been using the pump that you show. Tried a "cheap" brake bleeder pump for Harbor Freight, not the MitiVac, but found the pump shown actually worked better. I use the pump, in addition to initial stirring. I use the pump to degas over the course of about 10 days before it gets hard to pump and only a few bubbles coming out. There has to either be longer batch aging or maybe an allinone in my future.

Take a look at my video it explains step by step the process of using a vacuum pump in order to degass, bottle ,transfer and filter your wine.

jamesngalveston said:
i made my vacuum pump, transfer and bottler for old ac compressor and capacitor..works great.

James
I found out that the oil in that style of compressor attracts water and it will rust up and lock up the motor over time. It also uses a oil bath system - that means you will be getting oil coming out of the exhaust, in a fine mist - which you will defintley notice as you enter the room.
Yes I have done this many years ago - before the wife put her foot down due to the oil fog and smell. I was also worried about contaminating the wine.

Last edited:
Back