An Apple Mead.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Cracked!

Ok, I tried the two part fining and it's still hazy. I think I'm going to give the bentonite a try, and if all else fails - on to filtering.

Grrr.
I was reading somewhere else about this problem. I've never bothered trying bentonite for protein hazing, but the person who posted the stuff I was reading, found that it didn't work (they were trying it on 2 different batches).

When they tried the kiesol/chitosan finings, one dropped clear within 24 hours, the other had started to drop the sediment but at the time of reading, it hadn't completed.

As with anything mead, it's unusual for things to be "instant". And when protein hazes do drop out, you often get a very large/deep level of a very "fluffy" sediment, which can be even worse than batches made with bread yeast for coming back into suspension when the fermenter is moved.

It's the main reason why I decide what I want at the end of the ferment, then if it's gonna be a medium (most of my traditionals are) I stabilise and back sweeten once I'm happy that the ferment has finished but before it's cleared, that way I just have to clear it the once, and not repeat this process a second time.

Oh, and I've found that generally the "fluffy" sediment mentioned above will compact down nicely over time.

Thanks fatbloke, that's exactly what happened with the Riesling - it cleared, but with the fluffy sediment. Really took it's time too.

My mead is still undecided as to whether it will clear with the 2 part. It seems to take longer than the 24-48 hours listed on the package clearing. More like 3-4 days.

Next time I will definitely backsweeten before clearing when using honey, it's a bit frustrating when you're ready to bottle and have to push it back like that :) However, the difference in taste between using the honey and using inverted sugar is totally worth it.

Back