Amount of water to add to WineExpert kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhalko1969

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
Is it comin practice to cut the amount of water added to a kit?
I was told it will give you a better wine. Example- adding enough water to make 5gal instead of 6.

Randy
Milwaukee, WI

No, its is not common and not recomeded by the manufacture, adding less than the required amount of water will throw your alcohol content off, acid and tannin levels making a unbalanced wine.

Agreed. You will not get a better wine. The juices is concentrated to be re hydrated with a specific amount of water to bring the acid levels to the level to produce the desired end product.

There are those who have done 4 week wine kits to 5 gallons, and enjoyed them. That said, I prefer to try to add body to 4 week kits, so as not to lose those 5 bottles of wine. I have added bananas and or raisins to add body to these kits. A half dozen bananas or a pound of chopped raisins can add a lot to a 4 week kit. Another tip, is not to top with water, use a similar, inexpensive commercial wine, you will get it back at bottling.
Dave

Back