Amount of Potassium Sorbate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In general it depends on the pH and what step of the process you are currently working on.

The information I have indicates approximately 1g/gal

That is the dosing for potassium sorbate. If you added this much potassium metabisulfite, that translates to a 150ppm which will nuke your wine and be very noticeably unpleasant.

Typical dosing is 20-60ppm, say, but depends on the process step and pH for proper molecular SO2.

That is the dosing for potassium sorbate. If you added this much potassium metabisulfite, that translates to a 150ppm which will nuke your wine and be very noticeably unpleasant.

Typical dosing is 20-60ppm, say, but depends on the process step and pH for proper molecular SO2.
But the question was for potassium sorbate dosing.

Your comment caught my eye. I just looked at the amounts of metabisulphite included in two separate kits. 4g. That would equal 1 tsp. Are you saying I nuked the wine following their directions and will have these unpleasant flavors you mention.

Your comment caught my eye. I just looked at the amounts of metabisulphite included in two separate kits. 4g. That would equal 1 tsp. Are you saying I nuked the wine following their directions and will have these unpleasant flavors you mention.

You should be fine if you follow the kit instructions. Over the entire wine-making process from sulfiting the must to post-fermentation additions to pre-bottling additions, you will be adding roughly 1g/gal (150ppm) in total. On the other hand, if you were to add 1g/gal before bottling, you would most certainly have noticeable sulfite aromas when you pour a glass later.

Back