Quantcast

Amount of Potassium Sorbate

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

wineview

Reaction score
One bottles directions instruct to add 1/2 tsp per gallon, another says 1/4. What is the general concensus.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I use whatever the label says, different manufacturers may have different processes.

jgmillr1

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
In general it depends on the pH and what step of the process you are currently working on.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
The information I have indicates approximately 1g/gal.

jgmillr1

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
The information I have indicates approximately 1g/gal
That is the dosing for potassium sorbate. If you added this much potassium metabisulfite, that translates to a 150ppm which will nuke your wine and be very noticeably unpleasant.

Typical dosing is 20-60ppm, say, but depends on the process step and pH for proper molecular SO2.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That is the dosing for potassium sorbate. If you added this much potassium metabisulfite, that translates to a 150ppm which will nuke your wine and be very noticeably unpleasant.

Typical dosing is 20-60ppm, say, but depends on the process step and pH for proper molecular SO2.
But the question was for potassium sorbate dosing.

wineview

Reaction score

Your comment caught my eye. I just looked at the amounts of metabisulphite included in two separate kits. 4g. That would equal 1 tsp. Are you saying I nuked the wine following their directions and will have these unpleasant flavors you mention.

wineview

Reaction score
Your comment caught my eye. I just looked at the amounts of metabisulphite included in two separate kits. 4g. That would equal 1 tsp. Are you saying I nuked the wine following their directions and will have these unpleasant flavors you mention.

jgmillr1

owner, winemaker
Reaction score
You should be fine if you follow the kit instructions. Over the entire wine-making process from sulfiting the must to post-fermentation additions to pre-bottling additions, you will be adding roughly 1g/gal (150ppm) in total. On the other hand, if you were to add 1g/gal before bottling, you would most certainly have noticeable sulfite aromas when you pour a glass later.