Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zadvocate

Reaction score
IMG_1032.jpg I had my first try of Amarone last night. It was fantastic. I was suprised because it was not heaven like a cab but more like a Pinot. I understand how a amarone is made and that you can buy kits and fresh juice labeled amarone but is it made with the dried grapes? I would loose to make one if it could turn out decent.

I’m surprised that your comparison was to a Pinot, Amarone is, for me, a deep, dark, brooding, full bodied, viscous wine with loads of dark fruit, plum, prune, sometimes raisiny tastes, but we all have different tastes.

As to your question about the kits, I’ve oft wondered the same, but always concluded that it’s probably not from dried grapes. Perhaps more concentrated juice, higher sugar content and chap. packets, many have raisin packs to add. I’ve made several and find them pretty good, CC Showcse and MM Meglioli have been two of the better, and are nearing 3 years of age.

Edit: Just for a reference point, I looked the 2000 up on Cellar Tracker (which has user ratings), it was rated at 83.5, which could indicate that it’s not a great example of an Amarone. In my observation, the CT reviews are, at times, a bit stingy when compared to the pro reviews.

Last edited:
I was expecting it to be a very rich, heavy jammy style, but it really was not. It was rather on the medium side. I miss spoke earlier,I did it one other time but maybe only a sip or two and that was much more heavy Jammy and dense than what I had last night.

I just looked this up on Decantor

Amarone from Classico tends to be the most elegant and aromatic, versions from the Valpantena are generally lighter and fruitier, while the so-called ‘extended’ zone (beyond Classico and Valpantena, bordering on the Soave) tends to produce richer, more muscular wines with a higher alcohol level.’

Read more at http://www.decanter.com/learn/amarone-wine-ask-decanter-382575/#ADRBAZgIB8BsDJow.99

Back