WineXpert Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jgmann67 said:

Saved a half a bottle for a taste a little later this weekend... In the fridge, calling me.

Will you be drinking it chilled?

No. I just didn't know when I'd get to it. Since it wasn't a full bottle, I thought it best to stash it in the fridge.

I pulled it out of the fridge a little bit ago, poured two glasses and let it warm up. It's now about 67* and is absolutely charming. Big, potent, 15% ABV. Raisins, cherry, vanilla and oak with moderate tannins. Full body and deep color. In about a year, I'm going to have a very difficult time picking a favorite wine, I think.

Last edited:
Since I was home alone tonight and was having a lasagna and salad for dinner, I cracked open a taster of the amarone. It's really very good now. As I was drinking it, I texted my thoughts to my brother: Plum and cherry, leather and tannin. Complex. Integrated. Dark.

I have 6 more tasters and this can only get better. If you've never done one - it's excellent.

A New Year and I haven't done too much damage to my store of this wine. Still have 4 tasters left. We had a 750 with dinner on Christmas Eve, and I gave one to a friend to try.

It is a satisfyingly good wine. But, it is not nearly as big of an Amarone as as well-aged RJS EP.

It strikes me at this young age that it's very much like the Ripasso. Maybe in another year, it will morph into something else. But, I should be able to keep my hands off of the main stash for six months.

I'm glad that you enjoyed my version of the Amarone,o f I read it correctly.Its always a surprise when you think outside the box.

We opened a bottle the other day and it had a background flavor that I described at the time as "pencil eraser." It blew off after the wine got some air. I typically decant bigger wines like this, so it's not a problem. But, I wonder why it did that?

We opened a bottle the other day and it had a background flavor that I described at the time as "pencil eraser." It blew off after the wine got some air. I typically decant bigger wines like this, so it's not a problem. But, I wonder why it did that?

Well, in a week your wine will be 17 months old. I'm assuming a store bought one would be 3 or more years old? It's such a big wine I'd give it more time to develop and I betcha that eraser taste will fade as it ages. That's what those 375 ml bottles are for, to get you to 2 years + before opening a big one.

Opened another bottle tonight. No eraser taste here. Definitely not imagining things thought. It was present in the last one.

It happens, just like you can get a bad bottle of commercial wine. I opened a Forza the other day to try, drank a glass and poured it out, yuk! Spent a few days bummed about my worst batch to date before deciding to try another bottle. Second bottle was a winner and hopefully representative of the remaining 28.

Another month, another bottle. We had one with dinner (gnocchi in vodka sauce, meat in red sauce) last night. This wine is almost exactly 18 months old and was just perfect.

I'd like to sample the RJS version of Amarone. But, the WE Selection w/skins has turned out to be a winner. I'd do it again.

Steve not only did my tweaks but also added his own. I tried abottle and thought it was a good example of homemade style A Amarone...

Latest posts

Back