WineXpert Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You would need to go to some where in the beginning of the thread and read will post pics.ok

What would you do differently if you made this kit again.

I don't know that I'd definitely do much differently. The tweakery is pretty spot on. But, I'd consider:

* 1.5 cups of raisin, instead of 1 cup, in the primary.

* More oak in the finish - maybe 3 ounces of blended French and Hungarian Med+ Toast cubes.

* I think the kit came with two packets of RC-212. I wonder if a BM4x4 or a D254 would do good things for this kit. I like the flavor profile from the RC-212, but I'd like for the fermentation to be more of a slow burn to maximize exposure to the skins/raisins.

* I'd buy two of these kits, instead of just one, so that my supplies wouldn't dwindle as quickly. Not really a tweak. More of an admission that I have difficulty keeping my mitts off of good wine. :r

Steve did a cold stabilization. Mine got a winter in my basement and a racking before it warmed up. I'm looking at that as 6 of one, half dozen of another.

Good to hear the positives and thanks you should try the nibiolo same process.

Good to hear the positives and thanks you should try the nibiolo same process.

As a matter of fact, I have the Eclipse Nebbiolo in bulk aging right now! It is already something very special.

The grape pack was the biggest I've seen, so I didn't add raisins. It came with a good amount of oak. But, I may do an additional 2 ounces of a Hungarian/French M+ cubes at the next racking. And, I can swear I swapped out the EC1118 for a BM4x4. Will have to check my notes tonight.

It will age in bulk through the winter and hit the bottle in March.

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of an En Primeur Amarone kit and have a question. The instructions call for adding K-meta and Sorbate after the secondary fermentation racking (about 14 days) and then fining (Kieslsol/Chitosan). Then let sit to day 42 and bottle. I've always stabilized (K-meta / Sorbate) just before bottling in the past. Other posts on this site seem to support that method. This kit does contain Meta-tartaric acid. Does that have any bearing on when to sulfite? Any thoughts/experience ?

Hi all,
I'm in the middle of an En Primeur Amarone kit and have a question. The instructions call for adding K-meta and Sorbate after the secondary fermentation racking (about 14 days) and then fining (Kieslsol/Chitosan). Then let sit to day 42 and bottle. I've always stabilized (K-meta / Sorbate) just before bottling in the past. Other posts on this site seem to support that method. This kit does contain Meta-tartaric acid. Does that have any bearing on when to sulfite? Any thoughts/experience ?

My practice has been to rack the wine off the finer lees (around the day 42 instruction), then dose with kmeta and let it sit for 3 months at a clip. At the end of each three month period, I get to taste it and make the decision: a.) rack, dose with kmeta and bottle; or, b.) rack, does with kmeta and wait another three months (and maybe play around a with a little tannin or oak).

Neibbiolo continued

Just a little more to go follow the flow the amarone isn't that much different in the process..

17.jpg

18.jpg

IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg

Never add the sorbate unless you are back sweetening the wine. If fermented dry the sorbate does more harm then good.

Interesting. Wonder why then they include it in the kit and the instructions? Some say it helps preserve the wine after bottling.

Sorbate is used to prevent renewed fermentation, If you ferment to completely dry it is not needed. It is included to make the kits fool proof - if someone rushes through a bit to fast or the conditions were cold and they still bottle the wine it may end up a bit sweet but at least there won't be corks popping out of the bottles.

Back