Mosti Mondiale Amarone WineExpert vs. Mosti

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Francie

Reaction score
My friends and I decided to do a comparison. They purchased the WE Amarone, while my hubby and I bought the Mosti Ren. Amarone (with the raisins). She bottled hers in January, I finished mine in Feb. and bulk aged until July. We opened our first bottles last week to do the comparison. Here are the results:

WE: At first everyone liked it the best. Very fruit forward and incredibly smooth.

Mosti: Had a bite to it at first opening on the finish, but very close to being right up there with the Wine Expert kit.

Now for the interesting note:

After the bottles were decanted for about 30-45 minutes, our next tastings were completely different. The Mosti came out on top!!! It had a wonderful lingering finish on the palette. The WE was still very good, but the Mosti prevailed in the end!!
smiley32.gif

If anyone else has any comparisons, I would love to read them!!!

Thanks,

Francie

I think an unbiased opinion would be most helpful here Francie. I normally would not do this for just anyone but for you I will make an exception.
Send me 2-3 bottles of each and I will post my findings upon my reciept and personal tastings of each one.

Waldo,
You are such a gentleman and so unselfish. If Waldo can't give you a definitive answer Francie, I suppose I could step up to the plate and be his back up.

Wow!!! I am sooooo flattered!!! Two people are stepping up to the plate!! (I just started doing this, are you sure you trust my wine??
smiley5.gif
) Do I hear a third??? Keep in mind I only have 27 bottles left
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Honestly, I am so proud of myself.....my Amarone is really that good, thank you for such an awesome recommendation George!!

Francie
smiley9.gif

OK........ If I absolutely have to, I'll help ya out......................

Send me those 27 bottles....................

I don't know Wade......... I may need to take this wine tasting thing a little serious... I mean... after all..... Francie is begging for me to take these last 27 bottles......... It wouldn't feel right not giving it my all......

Wade........ Psssst..... over here..........

As soon as I get them, I'll send 13 of them on to ya............. now.. don't tell no one......... and don't forget....... I want my two dollars.......

I am always happy to hear that my recommendations are enjoyed. It is probably the single most difficult aspect of my job. I am asked for recommendations so often and I usually hear they are good, but I worry that someone is going to make something they don't like.

Thank you, Francie!

I have the WE Amarone at about 9 months of age -bottled about 2-3 months. I also have the MM masters Amarone beginning to bulk age. We drank the first bottle of WE Amaronethe othernight - it was good with hints of what I look for in an Amarone - but just hints. It was much more like a very good Valpolacella. At stabilization, the MM showed stronger Amarone nuiances, so I am much more hopeful that this one will really remind me of an Amarone. It will be very interesting to see what this one is like in 9 more months - or even more than a year.

So far, I am happy with both, but overall, I think the MM will be a clear winner - but I wonder whether either will make me think of a good Amarone with my eyes blindfolded. Of course, a good Amarone can cost you almost as much as either of these entire wine kits!

Maize,
I will apparently have to be ignorant of true Amarone character. I usually buy a bottle of a similar commercial wine for comparison when making a varietal with which I am unfamiliar. But at $100 a bottle for Amarone, that's a bit out of my league.

I agree with you - the only good Amarones that I have had were with a friend who has a huge cellar and really enjoys them. If it weren't for him, I would have no idea what an Amarone is supposed to taste like.
So although I like the WE Amarone (great color,by the way), I have a hard time thinking of it as such.
If you buy a $10-20 one for comparison, I would think the WE would hold up well. I'm not sure I heard of a good one below $50.

Francie and Maize,

Did you or your friends do any additional oaking to the Amarone kits? I
tried six weeks on French oak with the WE kit and think it is going to
be a good, drinkable wine. Since my knowledge of Amarone is at best
skimpy, so I don't know how it will rate as an Amarone, though.

Hi Jack
We followed the directions to a "T". I am afraid of adding more oak, although I don't know why, I guess I am a direction follower. I know the WE kit said to add like 2lbs of sugar!!! The MM kit had raisins to add. I have had a bottle of commercial Amarone and neither kit compared, but then I did not expect it to. I would say the MM was the closest to it, and of course the reason is probably because they are not aged enough, I am sure of it. I have only started making wine for just less than a year (my first kit bottled was end of December 06--Barbaresco and it is just now entering the "outstanding" stage, although others may disagree and say to let it age more!!!)

Francie

I, too, have never tasted a commercial Amarone. There was one at Winestock that fared well in the People's Choice Awards. Personnaly, while it was good it didn't exhibit the characteristics that the MM I have bulk ageing does. The MM is very fruit-forward with lots of plum, fig, and other dark fruits - so much so that you might initially think it is a sweet wine. It is fully dry, not overly tannic nor acidic. There will be two bottles in the 2008 and 2009 PCA to see how it stacks up. I'm betting that with all the Amarone action here I'll have some competition!

I think I'll buy a good bottle of commercial Amarone for Christmas dinner, which will be tenderloin with spicy shrimp sauce.

Jack:

I did add some house toast french oak to mine - only about 2 oz worth. It doesn't show too much at this point, but I think I can taste it just a bit. I always add some oak during bulk ageing - even to whites (although sometimes it is just an oz or so). I still think most commercial wines are much heavier oaked than the ones I make.

Peter, your MM notes do sound to be along the lines of a true Amarone - as I have noticed this to be the same with my MM. It will be interesting to see how it developes. I have a friend who owns a wine shop and he recently got an Amarone in - about $55 retail. I should see if he will open one with me sometime so I cancheck my memory. It has been about 2 years since I have had a true Amarone!

maize, amarones run from $50 to $80 at my local purveyor of fine wines. I will ask them for a recommendation, as they have never steered me wrong.

I've never had a commercial Amarone and they aren't even avail here. I did make the 3 gallon WE Amarone (don't mind experimenting at that size)and it's aging now but when I tasted at bottling I thought it was "okay but nothing special". I'm glad it wasn't 6 gallonsso maybe I'm just not a fan of Amarone (I know I'm not a fan of Valpolacella though so maybe that's it). Guess I'll find out after it's aged. Edited by: Jackie

Jackie, you may have to ask where they hide the Amarone as every place Ive been to had it stashed way in the back with all the rest of the very expensive wines. I have not seen a bottle of Amarone under $58 yet.

I found an Amarone at HEB's Central Market in Fort Worth. The price was $75 per bottle.

Latest posts

Back