Amarone - kit or frozen juice?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBP

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interested in trying an amarone-style wine, recognizing that there is a lot more to amarone than just the grapes. Trying to decide between a higher end kit or a frozen juice bucket tweaked with raisins (or other options - open to suggestions).

Pros and cons?

I am a big fan of the RJSpangnals Amarone Winery Series. Both of them make wonderful wines. But you have to give them time, lots of time. Like don't bottle before about the one year from yeast pitch and don't drink for at least another 6 months or a year. I have always stayed away from the frozen or juice buckets that day Amarone, but with enough added oak and raisins, they might be very good also.

I vote high end kit too. Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone is high on my list.

Also vote high end kit, I have made both the Showcase and the EnPrimeur Winery Series and both are excellent when allowed to age 2+ years.

We have C C Amarone kits that are 8, 6, 4, 2, years old and one that has just started. It’s our favorite big Red. We ferment, then year in the car boy, and a year in a barrel, then bottle. Usually start drinking at 3-4 years. Roy

There are 2 En Primeur kits, an Amarone and an Amarone Classico.

The Amarone has wet skins and raisins included, that is the one to get.

The Amarone Classico only has the dried skins (but more juice)

Latest posts

Back