WineXpert Amarone initial s.g. too low

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgoergen

Junior
Reaction score
Last night I started my 5th kit, my first WE Selections Amarone. During primary fermentation, after adding the skins and waiting 4 hours, I tested and got a reading of 1.07. The instructions said it should be 1.09-1.10. I haven't pitched the yeast yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

Check it again after 24 hours. You will likely find it bump up even more...maybe 0.015 or 0.016 in total. But that's' still pretty low. I haven't made that kit in a while (one of my favorites, BTW), but my starting S.G. Was 1.100.
Did you add the proper amount of water? Does this kit still come with dextrose to add later? If so, you'll get another 0.015 bump after that addition.
Good luck!

Last night I started my 5th kit, my first WE Selections Amarone. During primary fermentation, after adding the skins and waiting 4 hours, I tested and got a reading of 1.07. The instructions said it should be 1.09-1.10. I haven't pitched the yeast yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete

I did that exact same kit, started it in Oct.2016 and it is currently bulk aging. Looking over my notes, i mixed everything in the morning and let it sit till 10pm that same night. SG was at 1.092-94 at that time before pitching the yeast. Your sg does seem low, but since this is my first kit, not sure how to advise you...

Like i said mine is still bulk aging. Can anyone who has done this kit let me know when it should be drinkable? Thanks!

Stirring vigorously didn't change the reading.

I used the required amount of water - up to the 23L level, prior to adding the skins. The kit does include 2 Chaptalisation packs to be added after 5-7 days.

I'll check the readings again tonight.

Thanks guys,
Pete

If that was mine, I'd stir it up through the day. (If skins in muslin bag even give it some gentle squeezes). And check again later this afternoon. And make a simple syrup mix up now to be ready to add later if needed. Sugar to water 2cups:1cup. Adding 1/4 cup at a time, stir and check. And pitch yeast once at 1.100.
Definitely want that SG to be correct on this Amarone. Though I've never even tasted Amarone let alone make it, I like to think if it's so expensive than it's gotta be good!

Edit: I just saw your last post. The capitalization pack after fermentation is telling me that this kit has a method to its madness. Fpack toward the end of fermentation? Foreign to me. I guess When in doubt follow instructions to a T. But if it definitely calls for starting SG .09-.10 I'd still go ahead with the simple syrup before yeast. Happy Easter

Last edited:
Make sure you do NOT go by days for all the steps. Check your sg on a daily basis and go by that. At day 3.5 my sg was already at 1.012, so thats when i added the Chaptalisation pack. Day 6.5 my sg was at 0.996. At that time i racked into carboy to continue....

So, I stirred frequently, and it rose throughout the day to 1.080. Adding the total 2 cups of simple syrup raised it to 1.091.

What do you think - pitch the yeast now, or more simple syrup?

Make sure you do NOT go by days for all the steps. Check your sg on a daily basis and go by that. At day 3.5 my sg was already at 1.012, so thats when i added the Chaptalisation pack. Day 6.5 my sg was at 0.996. At that time i racked into carboy to continue....

I'll keep an eye on that.

Thanks,
Pete

I also would have given the skins bag a gentle squeeze or two to extract some of the thick juices before pitching the yeast. That would have also brought up your initial SG.

You might end up with a hot wine; this shouldn't be much of a problem since Amarones tend to be in the 14.5% range.

So, I stirred frequently, and it rose throughout the day to 1.080. Adding the total 2 cups of simple syrup raised it to 1.091.

What do you think - pitch the yeast now, or more simple syrup?
When I first started making the grapeskin kits, I had the same problem. I started squeezing the heck out of the grapeskin bag, and noticed that the SG increased .018 to .022 every time, and came right into range. Stirring never did the trick. You may have a very alcoholic wine if you don't end with a stuck fermentation.

Back