Amarone grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bklynitalian

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,
I picked up 120lbs of Amarone Lodi / Sp Calif / Millonaire from my terminal market here in Brooklyn. (along with my planned grapes) the owner of the market, which has been there over 100 years, told me these grapes are unbelievable, and will make a wine like no other, crush and press as usual. I didnt realize until I googled Amarone is the name of a blend of grapes (dried etc).
question is, what did i buy! lol Were these not Amarone grapes? The box was labeled Amarone Lodi / Sp Calif / Millonaire
thanks!

Always wondered this myself when seeing “amarone” seasonal juice sold. I assumed was just Valpolicella grapes but then saw a separate Valpo juice offered. So, short answer- no idea what that amarone juice was. And no idea what those amarone grapes are!

But good luck getting answers. Some guys can get defensive when inquiring for more info.

@Bklynitalian You're right, Amarone is a wine blend, wonder if the guy gave you the grapes to make Amarone?

https://www.amaronetours.it/wines/amarone/grape-varietals"Since 2003 Amarone production regulations allow wine makers to use only Corvina and Rondinella although the traditional blend included also Molinara. Today it is still possible to use Molinara as well as other local grape varietals up to a total amount of 15%. Typical grapes used in Valpolicella wines include Negrara, Oseleta, Croatina, ecc. Each grape add something to the unique taste of an Amarone."

In addition to the specific varietals used to make Amarone, there's a very specific strict process which is very much NOT business as usual for winemakers. The grape bunches are spread out and stored indoors in a very well ventilated, cool environment for a period of time sufficient to allow 40% of the liquid to evaporate, could be several months (called appassimento, hope I spelled it right). The grapes are then pressed and fermented slowly, I think close to a month, which I suspect means you gotta control the temps, keep it cool. The wine resulting from this process will give you an "amarone - style" wine.

In addition to the specific varietals used to make Amarone, there's a very specific strict process which is very much NOT business as usual for winemakers. The grape bunches are spread out and stored indoors in a very well ventilated, cool environment for a period of time sufficient to allow 40% of the liquid to evaporate, could be several months (called appassimento, hope I spelled it right). The grapes are then pressed and fermented slowly, I think close to a month, which I suspect means you gotta control the temps, keep it cool. The wine resulting from this process will give you an "amarone - style" wine.
That's right.

thanks all! The boxes are actually stamped Amarone. i figured to give them a whirl and try it out.
Yes I know of the special process to make the amarone, but I made them as usual (i crushed them last night). Thought someone with more Lodi grape knowledge out of Cali would know what's in there.
The store is one of the largest here, and has been around for over 100 years. They are in the Brooklyn Terminal Market, Tony Pagano Wine grapes.
They list the armarone grapes on their website
wine barrels / bottles /carboys/ chemicals/equipment

I also did a Sangiovese and merlot so if the above sucks, Im still ok lol

thanks all! The boxes are actually stamped Amarone. i figured to give them a whirl and try it out.
Yes I know of the special process to make the amarone, but I made them as usual (i crushed them last night). Thought someone with more Lodi grape knowledge out of Cali would know what's in there.
The store is one of the largest here, and has been around for over 100 years. They are in the Brooklyn Terminal Market, Tony Pagano Wine grapes.
They list the armarone grapes on their website
wine barrels / bottles /carboys/ chemicals/equipment

I also did a Sangiovese and merlot so if the above sucks, Im still ok lol

Wondering if you should consider adding some raisins in secondary to mimic that Amarone essence. I'd really love to know what kind of grapes they are.

I agree, Jim. The only wine, IMHO, that’s appropriate to add dark raisins to, is amarone.

I did a Valpolicella bucket from Italy several years back and added raisins, trying to get a Ripasso style out of it. Turned out OK, but I wished I'd done it with grapes. It was just a little light. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to Italian grapes - only juice.

I did a Valpolicella bucket from Italy several years back and added raisins, trying to get a Ripasso style out of it. Turned out OK, but I wished I'd done it with grapes. It was just a little light. Unfortunately, I didn't have access to Italian grapes - only juice.
It’s pretty hard to duplicate the big jammy taste of a viscous amarone. Not everyone digs it, but it’s a winner style in my book. One year, I’m gonna go all out and give it a shot, following the whole process.

It’s pretty hard to duplicate the big jammy taste of a viscous amarone. Not everyone digs it, but it’s a winner style in my book. One year, I’m gonna go all out and give it a shot, following the whole process.

Agree. I didn't come close, but it wasn't bad.

I've never understood which of the food and drink classifications that the USA has to respect (my ignorance of international trading law). The likes of Champagne appears well protected worldwide, including the USA (apart from a loophole for California). However, a couple of summers ago I was in San Diego for work and surprised to find a coupe of local 'Prosecco', last summer I found a 'Condrieu' in New Mexico. About four years I was at a small winery in Minnesota and they had a wine... and I struggle to remember whether they called it 'Amarone' or something akin to 'Amarone-style'/'Amarone-like'. However, I remember the conversation, I was surprised to see it in Minnesota, but found out the grapes were harvested in California as it was too wet/cool there.

Speaking to the winemaker she stated that Corvina has very few hectares in Califorina, so a majority of the grapes were of various styles that produced Amarone-like flavours once partially dried. Interesingly their wine was outdoor dried too, so not even authentic to appassimento. I wonder if your grapes are of a similar heritage? I cannot remember the name of the winery I was at, but I was with a colleague so will ask if he remembers, their website might be of help.

I did a drum of "Amarone" juice from Luva Bella in 2019. They told me it was a blend with higher SG to mimic the extra sweetness/sugar from dried grapes. I added 4 lugs of merlot grapes for a bump in body. Turned out wonderful. I would ad Zante currants. I used a lot more oak on it as well and it handled it easily.

adding that word Style or like to the end of Amarone is all it takes to avoid the wrath of the labeling Gods. Hence the wine kits that are called Port Style dessert wines. There is at least one winery here in Missouri, out near Lake of the Ozarks that used to make an Amarone-Like, after talking with the winemaker, it sounded like really just higher end kit winemaking of the same Amarone kits I could buy.

Latest posts

Back