Am I stuck

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
I have 2 batches of fresh juice fermenting. a Petite Sirah and Chateauneuf du Pape. Both stop fermenting at 2 lines below the .99 SG on the hydrometer. ( so between 1.00 and .99. Not sure what brix that is). I was trying to get below the .99. Should I try some Ec1118 or just say its done.

On both I used go ferm evolution, fermaid K, white labs malo, and opti malo.. The Petite got KV254 the Pape got ICV212.

I am pretty sure both juices stated fermenting before I added all this stuff in. (I thought I kept it cool enough but guess not).The Hydrometer read a about 1.00 when I started.

I'd say it's done. Once in a while I'll have one hit .980 but not often. I'd say finish out, stabilize and sweeten if you are going to

Yeah? you don't think a little EC1118 would finish it off

two questions. what's the harm in trying. Wouldn't the EC1118 just settle to the bottom?
If I did want to add some sugar for the EC1118 whats is a good sugar to add. I tried regular sugar in a previous batch but the taste was astringent.

IMHO, there is no harm in trying. But no chance of benefit either. There is simply nothing left for the yeast to "finish." What is your goal?

If there is ever a reason to add sugar in late stages of fermentation, the best sugar to add is dextrose. Yeast are able to metabolize this more easily (compared to sucrose or fructose) in adverse conditions, such as high-alcohol environments.

The last few batches I've made (grapes and juice) finished out at around 1.000. I never add sugar or more yeast, just figured the process was done. I racked off lees added some K-Meta and let it age. The alcohol level has always been more than enough.

I look at any reading below .996 that has been steady for a week as "done." I'll stir it once or twice over that week just to be sure it isn't going to move and keep it in the upper 60's/lower 70's. But, other than that, I don't think I'd do anything more.

Latest posts

Back