WineXpert Am I screwed? advice needed

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

globalnavigator

Reaction score
I have 2 Winexpert Selection International kits that should have moved on to "Step 3, stabilising and clearing", quite some time ago (Petite Verdot should have been 10/8/16, and Italian Brunello on 1/3/17).

They have both been under proper air lock the whole time. I know some may just say to "smell and taste them" to determine if they've gone bad, and I'll do that for sure.

Should I just continue now with step 3 this weekend, which is to rack, add metabisulphite and sorbate, degas, add chitosan, and then degas once more?

They both look normal in the carboys.

Extra question** I have some "Infusion Spiral" brand oak sticks, both American Medium and Heavy, that I'd love to try one of these days. Would it enhance either of these wines, in your opinion?

My short answer is yes, go for it.

Longer answer, if the wine still had active fermentation going on when you put it under airlock, and kept the airlock secure then you hopefully had enough CO2 left in the carboy to protect it. Your Brunello should be fine, but I worry about the other one. I say proceed and best of luck. Nothing to lose now.

the Brunello should benefit from the oak. make sure you do taste trials to insure you do not overoak.
racking should have been done long ago especially for the addition of kmeta.

the Brunello should benefit from the oak. make sure you do taste trials to insure you do not overoak.
racking should have been done long ago especially for the addition of kmeta.

Should I add extra kmeta then, maybe even a double dose?

I once left a demi of a juice batch aging with no k-meta, sorbate, or any additives for about 3-4 months. 15 gal Demi with maybe 3 gallons worth of headspace.
Grew bacteria, bitter smell and bitter taste. 1 year later and I'm doing the last little bit of fine tuning. But definitely do not toss it. If I can make that work with all those issues then you should be able to take care of business with the Verdot.
A little more K-meta. Double dose sounds like a lot.

I have been making kits for a very long time, and, sometimes; I am forgetful. Based on my experience, both kits should be good. Kit instructions generally advise to add extra SO2 for extended bulk aging (usually 1/4 tsp). :dg

I have 2 Winexpert Selection International kits that should have moved on to "Step 3, stabilising and clearing", quite some time ago (Petite Verdot should have been 10/8/16, and Italian Brunello on 1/3/17).

They have both been under proper air lock the whole time. I know some may just say to "smell and taste them" to determine if they've gone bad, and I'll do that for sure.

Should I just continue now with step 3 this weekend, which is to rack, add metabisulphite and sorbate, degas, add chitosan, and then degas once more?

They both look normal in the carboys.

Extra question** I have some "Infusion Spiral" brand oak sticks, both American Medium and Heavy, that I'd love to try one of these days. Would it enhance either of these wines, in your opinion?

Okay, please don't make fun of me. I'm still not done with these wine kits!

Petite Verdot - I just did step 4, racking and adding extra 1/4 teaspoon of meta. It tastes and smells fine, BUT now I'm getting a bubble every 3 or 4 minutes in the airlock. Any idea why?

Brunello - did step 3, adding meta, sorbate, chitosan with degassing after each. Not any gas to speak of. This one smells I would say very yeasty (no surprise there), but the taste gives me some hope for salvation. Does a yeasty smell dissipate over time? Again though, I've gotten some bubbles which worries me too. Ugh :(

Anyway, just an update and hoping I didn't end up wasting time and money. Lesson learned.

Back