Aluminium ground anchors - how long do they last.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark g

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning a very small vineyard in the UK. In my region I've spoken to several vineyard owners who all bemoan their use of timber posts and so I'm looking into the use of metal trellis systems. Some of the few companies who supply such metal trellis also sell screw in ground anchors (galv steel) or aluminium arrow head style drive in anchors. The aluminium anchors either use a galv steel cable or a stainless wire to run from the anchor to the surface. The manufacturers state their suitability in "suitable soils" or "neutral soils". I guess their concern is to avoid corrosion of either the cable or the anchor itself.

I can't be too choosey with my soil and its wet / sodden clay in winter and damp to cracked / dry in summer. pH is around 6.5. Has anyone experience of such aluminium arrow head style anchors in my sort of ground conditions please? How long have they lasted? Did the cable / wire of alum arrowhead fail first or possibly not at all? etc. etc.

I've not had any problems with these anchors so I'm not suggesting they are of no use. I'm just doing my research first off to make the right choice.

Many thanks and I look forward to any comments.

regards, Mark

The manufacturers state their suitability in "suitable soils" or "neutral soils".

Probably just a detail to deny your warranty if they fail in less years than stipulated.

Just use them if you find them otherwise easy to install and appropriate. And if you have to replace them sooner than under warranty... oh well. Probably still over a decade away.

Else, make your own from concrete. Will last your life span. But much more work.

I struggled with anchors myself..
I found the drive in cable anchors to be un reliable, and not hardy for rocky ground.

My grapes and muscadines are currently anchored with 5' T posts driven all the way in and a 1/4" hole drilled in the top with double 12g wires wrapped then twisted.

I plan to follow up with a buried anchor.

I visited a large vineyard and he was happy to show me his 40 years of success and failures....wood posts rot, concrete slugs poured in post holes eventually pull out....I personally looked at 4' 12" slugs pulled up at various heights, slowly being pumped up out of the ground by wind on loaded rows.

His success story anchors are to use a mini x and dig down 4', and bury an old steel car wheel, or pair of cement blocks with rebar hooks attached....they dont pull out.....

Back