Alternatives to Vinmetrica Solutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmulligan

Reaction score
For a home wine maker the Vinmentrica solutions, only good for 6 months, are very expensive. Is there any source of powdered versions or smaller amounts of these chemicals? Can I used the Milwaukee pH calibration powders? I am interested in doing both SO2 and pH testing.

Thanks,
David

I am not ware of any powders for the ph calibration acids of 4.0 and 7.0. shop around and you can find smaller volumes of these calibration acids. I would guess the so2 probe is distinctive so that the so2 calibration liquids may be distinctive to Vinimetrica. I just reread your post and you mention Milwaukee powders, I would assume you must use distilled water to insure the acid is at proper level and not distorted by the ph of public water supply.

If kept tightly sealed, the pH buffers will last much longer than 6 months. The only problem with them is evaporation. I don't know what is in Vinmetrica's SO2 calibration solutions. But I suspect it may have similar stability.

I am not ware of any powders for the ph calibration acids of 4.0 and 7.0. shop around and you can find smaller volumes of these calibration acids. I would guess the so2 probe is distinctive so that the so2 calibration liquids may be distinctive to Vinimetrica. I just reread your post and you mention Milwaukee powders, I would assume you must use distilled water to insure the acid is at proper level and not distorted by the ph of public water supply.

I definitely use distilled water, I have some on hand anyhow for rinsing.

If kept tightly sealed, the pH buffers will last much longer than 6 months. The only problem with them is evaporation. I don't know what is in Vinmetrica's SO2 calibration solutions. But I suspect it may have similar stability.

All of the bottles have never been opened and they have been inside the ziplock they were shipped in. Do you know if the SO2 acid, reagent and titrant are the same in that way, that they only suffer from evaporation? Oh now that I checked the definition of the term buffer I suspect the other chemicals will not be as resistant to change.

I will acquire some Milwaukee powders at my local aquarium shop, they are very cheap there to compare.

Sorry. I'm traveling through airports at the moment and can't look up the details. I think the so2 solutions contain peroxide. I font know for sure the longevity. When I get a chance I'll try to find more details for you.

The reference solutions for ph calibration I believe you could use any. For SO2 if you could get the same chemicals in the same strength, I see no reason why thy could not be used. I just purchased 4.0 and 7.0 reference solutions from piwine.com for around $7.00 for a 16 oz bottle. I have NaOh for testing TÅ. If I could find out the specifics on the SO2 chemicals, I would not hesitate purchasing from somewhere other than vinmetrica. My reference solutions I purchased for my phep5 meter have an expiration date either late in 2014 or early 2015.

Latest posts

Back