Alternatives to labeling bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Move into the 21st century!

Some off the shelf thermal label printers can print bar codes. You might be able to get an inexpensive bar code reader. Too bad those RFID tags they use for CD's and clothing aren't field programmable yet.

Go to www.staples.com and type "barcode" into the search box...

Actually, I print my labels on the free UPS stickey back paper (from work) that says "FOR UPS SHIPPING ONLY". Cut that bit off and they are good to go!:: I haven't tried to get them off the bottles yet, but have you EVER gotten a UPS package where the label pealed off?

I just print on regular 8 1/2 X 11 with my laser jet and use a glue stick. They fall right off when soaking the bottles.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions... I didn't want to spend hours scrapping off labels again!!

I just print on regular 8 1/2 X 11 with my laser jet and use a glue stick. They fall right off when soaking the bottles.
That is what I do and they come right off after 30 sec. in hot water. Make sure you rub the glue stick around the edges well and they stick just fine. I use different color shrink wrap to designate type of fruit. Pink = strawberry, green = Apple etc. I use black for the red raspberry rocket fuel I just bottled becaues if you drink too much you'll go blind!:)

Last edited:
That is what I do and they come right off after 30 sec. in hot water. Make sure you rub the glue stick around the edges well and they stick just fine. I use different color shrink wrap to designate type of fruit. Pink = strawberry, green = Apple etc. I use black for the red raspberry rocket fuel I just bottled becaues if you drink too much you'll go blind!:)

Now thats an idea. Only problem is I still have 4500 black shrink wraps to go. How many colors are there?

LOL on all those designs.
Labeling would be best rather than trying to look up what it is for each design..

I like making my own labels. I am not very artistic but can cut and paste with the best of em.

I used to print labels on an inkjet and use a glue stick, but have now streamlined things.

Painters masking tape. Tear a piece off. stick on bottle write what ever information you want on it. So far it stays on, comes off easy when done.

Fast, easy, cheap, and the wine tastes just as good.:D

Cheers Bill

There is a guy on Ebay selling shink wraps 210 at a time with around 40 choices. You select in groups of 30.

Master numeric index.
Whiteboard marker to number bottles.

All you need to know's in index. Number wipes off bottle.
Quick and easy.

No offence Bill but doesn't the tape look kinda cheap? Looks matter as well IMO. The labels are cheap to print, look great and wash right off.
:b Steve

Master numeric index.
Whiteboard marker to number bottles.

All you need to know's in index. Number wipes off bottle.
Quick and easy.

hehehehe Pete..

all you need to do now, is incorporate a bit of number eight wire to make bottle racks.. and you've got kiwi ingenuity down to a fine art!

Allie :)

There is a guy on Ebay selling shink wraps 210 at a time with around 40 choices. You select in groups of 30.

Last year my Wine Club bought 4 cases of 11,000 to a case totaling 44,000 shrink wraps. They were all one color Black. Butt,The price was right!.
BTW we sold all of them to club members and were sold out in 20 minuts.

Oh.. I figure you may want to know what we paid?
$75.00 a case
DEAL?? :r

It's spam... probly something about gold for money like the name says...

On topic, I picked up a bunch of these at the local dollar store. They come in packs of 50, with a dry erase marker. Green grapes on one side, red on the other :) Sorry couldn't find a bigger pic, but you get the idea.

thumb_360.jpg

Back