Alternatives to labeling bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
By the end of the summer, I hope to have 3 different red wines in my basement.
Does anyone have any clever ways to identify different types of wine, other than a label? I don't want to have to remove the labels when I re-use the bottles. I also intend to age some of the bottles for 2+ yrs, so I want something on the bottle that won't fall off.
The best idea I've some up with so far is colored ribbon tied to the neck of the bottles. ie: Blue = Amarone, Pink = Shiraz, Yellow = Cab Sav

Any ideas?

Personally I use labels. Buy the ones from your LHBS and you will have NO Problem getting them off.

Some people use different coloured shrinks. Others write a letter on the cork.

If you're really lucky with your bottles, you can use bottle shape. When I ran the FoP, there was a customer who used flat bottomed bottles for Merlot and punt bottomed bottles for Cabernet Sauvignon. Luckily for him, he only made two types of red.

Steve

You could just use different color shrink capsules. I use labels and they dont fall off and come right off with a very quick soak in hot water.

I use permanent marker to write the number on the cork that coresponds with the batch number in my notes for that particular wine.

I use 6499 Avery labels. They're non-permanent and peel right off. Plus you can print on them.

You could store the bottles in marked boxes like the large plastic ones sold at discount stores. Each box will contain the wine of your choice.

I use 6499 Avery labels. They're non-permanent and peel right off. Plus you can print on them.
I tried the AVery non-permanent labels several years ago (1999 or 2000). They were VERY EASY to get off. In fact, they didn't stay on the bottles hardly at all.

Steve

It can depend on the cellaring area also. More humidity will weaken some glues and make some better.

For me, I choose a different colored shrink and have the colors ID'd on a sheet at my storage racks.

The labellnig is half the fun for me, but I do admit to hating removing labels. If that is the only reason yuo dont want to use labels then why not stick them on with milk like I was told to do on here. They just float off if you soak them for a short while!

I buy small 1" diameter round labels, like you'd print on a laser jet for use in an office.

Its enough room for an abbreviated name/style and a month/year date code.

sticks to glass, and peels off with almost no residue.

I use plain inkjet paper. My color inkjet printer. Adobe Illustrator. I sprayed the labels with hair spray to keep the ink from running (Aussie brand as it smells like grapes ;-). I glued my labels on with milk and a pinch of flour. They come right off.

Last edited:
Another idea,
I use a glue stick for my labels. I found slugs eating the label with milk as glue in my basement.

Slugs eating labels.... now that's funny... I'll have to check on mine from time to time. Might have to switch to glue stick...

Yea not so funny when you see them eating the labels. I live in a 200 Y/O house so we do get them. MAybe a newer house won't have that problem.

Tom do you use inkjet paper/ink? Which glue do you use? Does it get through the paper and affect the ink?

Yes I use a injet. But, I print 1 pg out on bright white paper. Then, I get color copies from staples (laser). Then no coating necessary. Any glue stick works ( I get the 12-16pak from Staples).

I've used glue sticks too. They are nice because its kind of a lower quality glue, doesn't hold up to soaking so the labels do come off easily when it comes to that time.

I would just do a border of clue and then a small dab in the middle, then apply.

YEP!
Thats what I do. once around the label and / from corner to corner. I use shipping label template 6 to a page Avery #8164

Back