Alternatives for back sweetening

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iridium

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to back sweeten their wine with sweeteners other than sugar? What were the results. I was thinking of giving stevia a try.

Wine, no, ,,, The question I would pose is how do you like the flavor in other systems as soda or bottled teas? As you hear with sugar sweetening do a bench trial.

My favorite flavor artificial is aspartame, it is not pH stable, however wines are in the 3s versus 2s for soda so stability may be OK and should be significantly better than soda.

Has anyone tried to back sweeten their wine with sweeteners other than sugar? What were the results. I was thinking of giving stevia a try.
Stevia could be a good option, but you will no doubt have to steep it in water. I haven’t done the research but you could probably find a good ratio online that would equal out to sugar. It might require a lot of leaves! Not sure what hardiness zone you are in but I’ve sold it for years in the greenhouse. I believe it is hardy to zone 7 but don’t quote me!

Hardiness zone? Is that, like, where I live (lol). I'm not sure what that means, maybe the ability to grow things? Sorry, just wondering, and what does the # mean? (I can hear it now, 'city folk' lol!)

Last edited:
Just looked it up. It appears zone 8 is the lowest to be considered perennial. Otherwise it is grown as an annual

That is a good point about the stevia. I was going to use the commercial stuff but that has added ingredients so may not be the best choice.
It is good to know that there are options.

Glycerine is Ok. As it's denser than wine you have to stir it in well, otherwise you will end up with a layer of it at the bottom of your carboy. It adds mouthfeel and a bit of body to your wine, as well as some sweetness.

Even with the commercially made Stevia - some people taste that sweetener some folks don't.

After the time and trouble put into making a nice wine - I would just never use an artificial sweetener of any kind.

Sugar or Honey would the the only way for me.

Latest posts

Back