Altering receipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boozehag

NZ Artist
Reaction score
I have got some passionfruit pulp and some white flesh peaches. I dont have enough of the passionfruit to make a gallon (25 when my receipe says I need 60) so I thought Id buy some peaches and make a mixed wine.

Is this ok to do and what receipe would I follow? My best receipe so far says 5.5kg peaches and needs grape tannin. Should I still add the tannin and is it ok to guess the fruit, like 2kg peaches and 25 passionfruit, is that enough or isnt it......what if I added more peaches or more passionfruit? What happens if I add too much? I realise not enough will make it tasteless but is too much going to ruin it too?

I often alter recipes to conform to the amount of fruit available. I suggest that you add more than is required (or that you guesstimate) rather than less. I've found most recipes tend to low ball the amount of fruit required.

Thanks for that! What about additives too? Im guessing I shouldnt guess them though but then a bit of experimentation wouldnt hurt too much would it?

I was also thinking last night too, that my main carboy is a 23 litre one and the receipe is for 20 litres, I saw the thread re using marbles and that one would need too many marbles to fill that 3 litre difference...so how can I alter a receipe to suit...or better yet does anyone have a receipe for peach and passinfruit wine for a 23 litre amount?

I have several 1 gallon carboys and a receipe or two for that amount but I want to make a bigger batch. HELP!

Boozehag Since you do not have enough fruit for a 23 liter carboy, and this is just a suggestion, break your recipie down to make a 1 gallon batch, document all the ingredients, then when the batch is done, you will know if you like it, or dislike it, if you like it, you then can make a 23 liter batch.

Can you scrounge up enough fruits to make it a 6 gallon batch, thats what I would do! If you are looking to make a 6 gallon batch you should always make more then that and put the rest in a wine bottle with bung and airlock, you will need to have this for later when you rack off the lees. I always make an extra 1/2 galln for this purpose and highly recommend you doing the same. You really need to have the proper size vessel for the batch that you are making or many smaller vessels. Start collecting 4 liter and 3 liter carboys and bungs with airlocks for all these. # 3 bungs are for 375, 750 & 1500ml wine bottles and #8 are for 3 & 4 liter jugs.

Yes I can get more fruit I was just worried about quantities as in the additives to make it correct for the bigger carboy. I brought the peaches yesterday without a receipe in mind so didnt know how much to buy at the time. If I use this receipe i have for the 20 litre I will go back and get more fruit, I just wanted to know if I should add things like tannin or acid and how much, as the passionfruit one says to add them both yet the peach ones vary.

I have got a couple of 5 litre carboys and am going to get more on the weekend. I just thought Id like to make a large quantity of the peach and passionfruit as it sounds nice and that carboy will be free soon so might as well use it.

I do hear what youre saying about doing a smaller batch in case I dont like the finished product but dont they always end up different anyway as in hard to recreate the same wine each time?

Will definetly use that extra bottle idea, thanks for that!

They are not hard to recreate if you take good notes, The only reason all of my wines always taste a little different is because I always 1 up the last recipe. My 3rd generation Black Currant is the 1 I will be sticking with for now on though as it is to die for. The only thing wrong with small batches is that they are almost always awesome when making them from real fruit and you will be sorry when you only have 5 bottles of that nectar. As for acid, follow the recipe for the 5 gallon and then add when finished to taste or even better get an acid test kit if you plan on making more fruit wines. As for tannins, you just follow the directions on the product itself. Make sure to use pectic enzyme.

I've made peach wine and skipped the tannin. It turned out very good. It had a very nice peach colour and flavour. I used about 2 lbs of very ripe peaches (pitted) per imperial gallon, and sugar and water to 1.090. .No other additives, just yeast.

one suggestion is to make separate batches of passionfruit and peach, then experiment by blending them together till you find the taste your looking for.

then you could blend and either bottle or bulk age for a few months.

Last edited:
Be careful of the Passionate Fruit Wine

Some of the passionate fruit wine may lead to more passion then you expect!:) Don't be afraid to experiment with what yo have! Making wine is like making Chicken Noodle Soup, or like Spaghetti Sauce, there are no real "rules" only basic steps and certain protocols.
troy

one suggestion is to make separate batches of passionfruit and peach, then experiment by blending them together till you find the taste your looking for.
Oh thats a good idea Twissty, Ill try that.

Wade I probably will do the same with 1 upping my receipes, nothing quite like experimenting and re acid kit, will go pick one up tomorrow, everytime I think I have everything something else pops up!!! Will need a wine room just for that!
What Im getting from this is that its ok to experiment as long as you dont get stupid!;)

Some of the passionate fruit wine may lead to more passion then you expect!
Sid, thats just plain funny! I actually plan on calling it something with passionate in the title, I can imagine a lot of wines would have that effect!!!;) Cant wait!

Back