Almost ready 2 bottle but,........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbird

first timer
Reaction score
30 days into it.......I believe I'm ready to bottle. I tasted it today and its a lil 2 dry....made some syrup mixed 3 cups to a gallon and taste good at first....but then its got a taste in the back of throat like maybe....acidy. Wondering if degassing it would take it away.....note it was the same way before adding syrup. Thanks in advance........can u describe co2 taste

It is more a feel than a taste. There will be bubbles in your glass and a bite on your tongue. The wine is very young so that is probably what you notice. If it is totally clear and no more sediment is dropping out then bottle and give it 6 months to age. When you say 30 days is that from must start? If so you may want to wait a while yet. It usually is more like 3 months to bottle.

Steve

Snowbird,
Im confused?
What are you making? Kit, Fruit ?
What do you mean 30 days into it?
You added 3 cups of sugar to a gallon of wine?
What are you making and how much?
Simple syrup is 2 parts sugar to 1 part water. How did you mix it?
ALL wines need to be degased. If you didnt then you should do it.

I am confused to. Did you degas prior? Have you stabilized? If not and you added more sugar it is probably going to ferment back to dry raising the alcohol levels. You say it is acidic tasting. What type of wine is it. Degassing isn't going to help that sensation. If it is a carbonated sensation it will though. Please fill us in on what your making and BTW, welcome to our forums. Glad you are here and asking questions. That's what we are here for.

I too need much more info butcan tell you you are or should be no where near bottling after 30 days even if directions somewhere tell you so. be patient and the end result will be way better, trust us!

Hey guys,
I think this is STUMP THE MODERATORS... LOL

I can say this...my first wine was from a kit and I didn't quite degas enough.

But its low enough that if I just decant the bottle into a caraf first, then pour glasses, its completely still at that point.

Thought I was ready 2 bottle...mmmm

20lbs blackberries....15lb sugar....
After fermenting in plastic container a couple weeks I syphoned to glass carboy and its been 30 days......
I meant I put 3 cups of syrup mix to 1gallon of wine that was left over after I filled my carboy up...added my 1/4 tsp of sorbate to keep it from restarting and campdem tablet...set a day and started drinking it...lol..wasn't bad...still have my 5 gallon carboy that I haven't touched. Went back to the guy I got recipe from and he said he let's his set for about 9 mo. WOW...His recipe was pretty detailed until it said rack in glass carboy and that was the end of directions,,lol so I thought it was ready to bottle in 30 days like some recipes I've seen.
Yeah got excited when I seen this forum and didn't give near enough info. I'm new at this as if u couldn't tell and just way over anxious. Thanks for ur reply !

Last edited:
Thanks for the hospitality...I reposted what I was making..hopefully I made more sense. I need to learn my termonology....I think it would help...lol

Back