Almost had a panic attack while shopping.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

jswordy

Reaction score
As a winemaker (particularly a country winemaker) why wouldn't you buy the 25 or 50 lb bag?? I always did back when I made lots of country wines.

LOL, last time I was at a store with two 25-pound bags, the old lady behind me said, "You must be gonna do a lot of baking!"

"Nope," says I, "This is for making wine."

Everybody in line gave me the judgmental hairy eyeball. Life in the Deep South. :D

Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
LOL, last time I was at a store with two 25-pound bags, the old lady behind me said, "You must be gonna do a lot of baking!"

"Nope," says I, "This is for making wine."

Everybody in line gave me the judgmental hairy eyeball. Life in the Deep South. :D

Here in Missouri, they always ask me for my home address so they can come sample with me. All the Good German, French, and Irish folk around St. Louis, I guess.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Reaction score
As a winemaker (particularly a country winemaker) why wouldn't you buy the 25 or 50 lb bag?? I always did back when I made lots of country wines.

Math.
Surprisingly the price per pound is identical for the 25 and 10 lb bags - about 48.6 cents per lb here. I usually grab a 10 lb every other trip only because it's easier to carry and store.

jswordy

Reaction score
Math.
Surprisingly the price per pound is identical for the 25 and 10 lb bags - about 48.6 cents per lb here. I usually grab a 10 lb every other trip only because it's easier to carry and store.

I think he was talking about convenience, not price. I used to buy the big ones because I live 9 miles from the nearest grocery store and because two 25-pound bags carries to storage easier than five 10-pound bags. 25 pounds is about the biggest one you can get here unless you go to a restaurant supply house.

Darrell Hawley

Supporting Members
Reaction score
I think he was talking about convenience, not price. I used to buy the big ones because I live 9 miles from the nearest grocery store and because two 25-pound bags carries to storage easier than five 10-pound bags. 25 pounds is about the biggest one you can get here unless you go to a restaurant supply house.
Last time I checked on sugar at the store, the 10lb bags were cheaper per lb than the 25 lb bag.

Loadclear

Junior
Reaction score
Yesterday I went to the grocery store here in AK for sugar- $9.49 for 4 lbs of “milk carton” sugar. Nothing bigger available. I just bought 10lbs of corn sugar on Amazon for $21. Pretty bad when I can have corn sugar delivered from the lower 48 via USPS cheaper than I can get cane sugar at the grocery store:(

Latest posts