Almost done, but a couple of questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck-crisler

Reaction score
My wine is almost complete. I have racked it for the third and last time. This is the first time I have succeeded in taking production this far and I have really learned a lot. I have gotten some very good and much needed help right here. I am really feeling good about what I have accomplished.

I had one surprising thing happen with my cold stabilization. Everyone says that it has to be cold (well below freezing) and takes a few weeks. When it warmed up here (25-30 F for the low generally) I thought it was time to put the carboys outside. I had my 2 gallons of white in the basement/garage for about 5-6 weeks, getting them cool and 'preparing'. The temp down there is above freezing, maybe 36F. When I brought the jugs up the crystals had already precipitated out. I put them outside anyway but nothing else came out. I put the red outside in the cold for a week or so and they precipitated also. The air temp actually got down below 20F one night, so that wine was pretty cold. But it seems to have precipitated pretty quickly. So I have now racked all of it. All is now in carboys with airlocks.

Here are the results of before and after CS.
Cayuga/Seval pH went from 3.38, TA 1.09% to 3.48, TA 0.97% I didn't use Lalvin 71B
Baco Noir/Foch pH went from 3.77, TA 0.95 to 3.75, TA 0.75% I did use Lalvin 71B
Marquette/Frontenac pH from 3.83, TA 1.05% to 3.95 TA 0.82% I did use Lalvin 71B

So my questions concern what I should do about the acid and pH?

The Cayuga/Seval is a bit 'hard' and bitter. I was thinking of adding a small amount of sugar to counteract the acid. It is a beautifully clear, slightly yellow color.

The Baco/Foch seems sour. That may just be the Baco grape (probably 80+%). Those grapes weren't the best. It is clear, deep purple/red.

The Marquette/Frontenac is a surprise. It is actually pretty good as is. I have heard that these are best blended (not with each other). They are so productive that I really hoped they would be good by themselves. I mixed the grapes together simply to get enough for 1 gallon. Critters ate the rest. This year I really expect 3+ gallons each (I have plans for a much improved fence). It is clear, deep purple/red.

So anyone please make suggestions for the white and the Baco/Foch. I doubt that any of this will be around too long, so I am not too concerned with longevity this time.

Thank you,
Chuck

I would make a sugar syrup, 2 cups sugar to one cup hot water. mix in blender. let clear and cool. do bench trials to determine amount to add . it will balance the sour or bitter taste. sour is acid, bitter is tannin. wine will not be sweet but balanced .
Your numbers are okay. taste is the best measurement.

Sour = acid. If the wine is too sour, it is because you are tasting acid.

You can "mask" the acid using sugar (as salcoco suggests) or you could work on lowering your acid a bit by adding a little k-Bicarb.

I do not think, however, that you would want to raise your PH any higher. My thinking is that you would be better off adding sugar.

as salcoco suggests, try to perform bench trials to see what works best.

As far as bitterness, this most likely is caused by the tannins in the wine. I would continue to age the wine and rack it a couple of times. This should improve things.

Latest posts

Back