Allulose used to back sweeten

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Cap Puncher

Reaction score
Has anyone used allulose to backsweeten wine? I read up a bunch on it and seems like it could be a viable option to backsweeten without sorbate or filtering. Please share your experience if you have used it. I’m pretty sure it is non-fermentable, but it is hard to find much on the topic. It is supposed to be 70% the sweetness of sucrose and still add body. It supposed to taste exactly like sugar just a bit less sweet.

G259

Reaction score
Hmm, this is the fist I've heard of it. From what (little) I've read, it seems ok, but if it were me, I would wait and see if there are carcinogens that plague other sweeteners. Off flavors are a concern, 'supposed to taste exactly like sugar'. Stevia comes to mind, while palatable, it does have an off flavor.

Cap Puncher

Reaction score
Hmm, this is the fist I've heard of it. From what (little) I've read, it seems ok, but if it were me, I would wait and see if there are carcinogens that plague other sweeteners. Off flavors are a concern, 'supposed to taste exactly like sugar'. Stevia comes to mind, while palatable, it does have an off flavor.
Allulose is found in nature in small amounts. It was not chemically created. It is supposed to have no off tastes at all.

The FDA recognizes is as GRAS (generally recognized as safe).

I’ll probably buy some, taste it compared to regular sugar.

Then I might do bench trials and a tiny fermentation in 1/2 gallon jug to see if it is Really “Non-fermentable”.