Mosti Mondiale Alljuice Zinfandel question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick c.

Junior
Reaction score
Hi- this is my first wine, but I have been homebrewing for 10+ years. The directions say to transfer the wine once it gets down to 1.040 or so, but to stir up all the sediment and transfer all of it along with the wine. What does this accomplish? Could I just stir up the sediment and leave it in the primary fermenter? It does say to leave behind raisins if the kit has them, but since this one has no raisins I don't see the point. Thanks!

1st welcome to our forum.
What kit are you using? 1.040 seem to high to transfer. I would do it @ 1.015 and leave the solids behind. Without knowing what you have this is just my opinion.

Its most likely the original all juice bucket. I dont really like those instructions on racking that early as unless you have a 6.5 gallon(US) carboy as there is too much activity at this oint and will come out your airlock. Id keep it in primary until around 1.020 or even 1.015 but do carry over everything. What this does is carry over all yeast making sure it will ferment to dry and also because the fining agentused needs the more sediment then other fining agents to work well.

Yes, it's the Alljuice bucket kit. I'm still unclear on the reason for transferring versus just stirring up the sediment. Does re-suspending the yeast and other solids not do the same thing?

Yes, it's the Alljuice bucket kit. I'm still unclear on the reason for transferring versus just stirring up the sediment. Does re-suspending the yeast and other solids not do the same thing?

assuming you are transfering from a primary ferment bucket to a glass or plastic carboy for secondary ferment. you do this to reduce the headspace so not as much wine is exposed to air. as ferment slows down, the co2 blanket in primary bucket dissipates and wont protect the wine as much as if you were in a carboy with much lesser volume of air/headspace.

the clear material in secondary also gives you a better visual guide on clearing than an opaque bucket would.

Back