All in one pump for a new guy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinb

Reaction score
I've been reading books and spending countless hours on this site learning as much as I can. I've just started my 1st wine, dragons blood and my next step will be to move to a secondary and degas. There seems to be a lot of discussion on degassing. If you were to start over, would you buy an all in one pump right away? Or should I start with a drill attachment? My wine making kit came with an auto siphon and bottle filler attachment. I would hate to have purchased these items in the kit and never use them, but I also want to make the best decisions with equipment.

If you are going to be in this hobby for a while and making a lot of wine, then get the AllinOne as soon as you can. Forget degassing for a moment. The AllinOne pays for itself in the ease with which you can rack and bottle. Period. It's the best. If you're getting older or are hurt then not having to lift full carboys up to the counter is a great benefit.

Degassing I view as a separate issue. The AllinOne will definitely aid in degassing, no question about that. Between the natural degassing in the rackings you will do with it and using the headspace eliminator he developed and you can get rid of a lot of gas. Combine that with carboy aging for six months to a year and many have reported complete degassing.

I haven't had consistent results in getting a complete degas with just using the pump though. Perhaps my basement is too cool, my natural atmospheric pressure too high or whatever. I wouldn't get rid of my wine whip, but I've already paid my $39 for it. I'm just now getting into a separate vacuum pump for degassing, so I can't comment on it yet.

But I would encourage you to consider that the original intent and still wonderful value of the AllinOne is for racking and bottling, with some/all degassing occurring as you rack with it and carboy age your wine. I would buy it again in a heart beat just for that and consider degassing a separate issue to deal with. Others have had great success degassing completely with it.

Last edited:
Please review the Allinonewinepump thread - http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15976
their is over 900 comments - most people wished that they would of bought it sooner than latter.

There are other places as well as my website to find other comments and reviews also - http://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/deluxe-standard-plus-degassing-and-filtering/

Remember there is always a 30 day money back guarantee and a full 1 year warranty. If you have any questions or concerns - please PM me with your phone # and I will call you back.

I use the small auto siphon when making kits. The small one fits into the cap hole so I can pump out the wine, rather than trying to pour a 30 pound bag. I sold my drill degass tool when I got the all-in-one.

FIRST OFF WELCOME
I started a couple three years back, like you I read every thing I could on every forum I could after a while I figured out this site smokes em all. I had an still have siphon racking cane, drill degassers, whip degasser so on so fourth, I had some pear/apple,, blackberry, elderberry, an strawberry, ready to bottle, then on here on several different peoples posts the allinonewinepump keep coming up, no lifting heavy carboy, that sounded good to me, in my back T-2 thru T-7 my disk were an still are bulging, (bull) my T-12 vertebra was crushed (horse) doctors had ground about 7 inches from the base of my skull down like I said near 7 inches 5/16 wide to the spinal cord to remove infection,,,,, my right leg amputated below the knee and almost 1/2 of my left foot they amputated, so I thought no more lifting would really be nice, so I ordered the allinonewinepump, all the wines were 2 year old by then , but bottling flew by with the allinonewinepump, so I had several carboys full of 2 month old wine, so I decided to rack them I had also ordered the filter housing, 1 micron for white and 5 microns for reds, what happen next stumped me, I put a cane in the full carboy of new wine and on a empty carboy I put the splash racker I got at allinonewinepump, coming out of a full carboy was elderberry red wine from the full carboy to the filter housing red wne, plain to see in clear vinyl hose, but coming out the other side was nothing but foam, so as I was racking I was degassing all at the same time and the new empty carboy was filling with red wine, unbelievable, every time I rack I degas I leave gross lees behind and I filter,, any that get sucked up gets nailed in the filter, and never lift a heavy carboy, I rack around 4 times on reds once every 3 months, then after awhile I bottle using the bottling devise that I got at allinonewinepump, so 4 racking and degassing, an 1 bottling and degassing all with the allinonewinepump ,, so even when you bottle you yet again degassing, white come off sooner, I rack every 2 months 4 times then 1 bottling so that equals 5 major degassing,, 5 filtering's, I use spun polypropylene filters, after each racking I flush them out with water put in quart zip lock baggie an toss into the freezer, reds use 5 micron and whites use 1 microns, so label your zip lock baggie, my one and only regret was that I did not buy the allinonewinepump 2 years earlier . the stir degassing exposes your wine to oxygen every time you degas, and every time you rack more oxygen,,, but with the allinonewinepump you do everything in a vacuum, hence no oxygen... just my two cents worth, and no offence to anyone but I have never done a kit ,, I make mine from fresh fruit and fresh berries, of-course you should freeze all your fruits and berries then when they thaw they are mush add your peptic enzyme and you are set,
if I had to pick only1 tool it would be the allinonewinepump, because it, degasses, racks. filters, and bottles all under vacuum so no harmful oxygen,
good luck...
Dawg::

I've been reading books and spending countless hours on this site learning as much as I can. I've just started my 1st wine, dragons blood and my next step will be to move to a secondary and degas. There seems to be a lot of discussion on degassing. If you were to start over, would you buy an all in one pump right away? Or should I start with a drill attachment? My wine making kit came with an auto siphon and bottle filler attachment. I would hate to have purchased these items in the kit and never use them, but I also want to make the best decisions with equipment.

I might get one for my 75th BD (I'll turn 72 next month).
smilie.gif
Thinking I get by well enough with what I now use for wine making but know that having an AIO would make my hobby easier and more enjoyable.

Steve mentioned his 30 day money back guarantee so why not just go for it?

Last edited:
I would, absolutely. I love my AI1. But I know things now that I didn't know when I started. Most importantly: Am I going to be in this for a while? When I first started, I had no idea if the stuff I was making would be great, good, or absolute crap. I got my initial equipment for about $100. At ~$200, the AI1 is a significant additional investment that I didn't want to make until I was sure I'd be continuing to make wine.

If you were to start over, would you buy an all in one pump right away? Or should I start with a drill attachment? My wine making kit came with an auto siphon and bottle filler attachment.

Wait on buying the drill attachment. You don't have to degass right away.

After a month, sample the DB. Think about if you want to keep doing this. If you are going to keep doing this, then buy the AIO.

BTW: My first kit came with $30 of stuff I never use. I don't worry about it.

I can't say anything else that hasn't already been said other than I purchased the All-in-one and it has been of tremendous value, you will not regret the purchase. If you choose to stay in this hobby, it will reward you many times over.

Good luck!

The only way you regret it is if your first batch ends up being your last.

If I had attempted to bottle with gravity and a siphon, my first might have been my last. :)

If I had attempted to bottle with gravity and a siphon, my first might have been my last. :)

If you rack right before bottling (get off any remaining sediment), then bottling with a bottling wand/suto siphon, or bottling bucket/spigot is not so bad. It just takes a lot longer.

If you were to start over, would you buy an all in one pump right away? Or should I start with a drill attachment? .

I bought mine after picking up the drill attachment; and after buying a brake bleeder. And, knowing what I know now, yes, I would buy the AIO right away.

If you're skeptical of what a vacuum can do to degas wine, and don't have the money for the deluxe model AIO (which I also highly recommend), buy the brake bleeder and see what it can do for you.

You'll be very happy with the results and be clamoring to find a way to do it without wearing your arm out pumping the thing; and will place your order for the AIO directly.

We don't have an all-in-one, but I've spoken with the owner and feel he's extremely customer service oriented. We just had dinner with some friends who were raving about their's they just bought.

We have a huge degassing problem, and judging by the years of experience and all the forum discussions, it seems like degassing is a very different experience for everyone... some have no problem with the whip and others like me can't seem to ever get a wine without some gas in it.

We have a huge degassing problem, and judging by the years of experience and all the forum discussions, it seems like degassing is a very different experience for everyone... some have no problem with the whip and others like me can't seem to ever get a wine without some gas in it.

I use the AIO, and do not specifically degass. I age my wine for 9-12 months, racking every 3 months. Time and racking with the AIO seems to take care of degassing for me. In fact, I try to minimize degassing during rackings in the hope that the CO2 helps protect the wine - if the CO2 is coming out (pressurizing the head space), it is harder for the O2 to come in (minimal negative pressure in the head space to suck in the air from the atmosphere).

I think both WE and RJS instructions mention degassing as being important in ordef for the clearing agent(s) to work. Vacu Vin hand pumping gets the job done for me but it is definitely labor intensive.

I use the AIO, and do not specifically degass. I age my wine for 9-12 months, racking every 3 months. Time and racking with the AIO seems to take care of degassing for me. In fact, I try to minimize degassing during rackings in the hope that the CO2 helps protect the wine - if the CO2 is coming out (pressurizing the head space), it is harder for the O2 to come in (minimal negative pressure in the head space to suck in the air from the atmosphere).

You explained that very well !!

I personally do not make an attempt to degass per say in 1 step - I know it is confusing for some who do kits as it explains - degassing stage - I rarely have any issues with clarifying also.

SAME FOR ME. lol
Dawg::

Between racking from the primary to the secondary and then the secondary to a fresh carboy to start the clearing stage. My wine is mostly already degassed via the AIO. I suppose maybe temperature has something to do with it. My house sits at 72F and it degasses all by itself in two rackings. (probably over 90% anyhow)

Latest posts

Back