Aldi's has canned plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are soft enough. I picked up a can to eat. They are firm, yet soft. I think you could squeeze the plum with your finger, and the pit would easily pop out.

I'm envious. my Mom and here husband live in Milwaukee and we talk about shopping often, they love Alsi's, she is always telling me about great finds they have there.

Believe it or not, all we have here is 2 Fred Meyers, two Safeways(same products, each store), a Sams Club, and a Wal-Mart. Pretty limited on what we can get.

Hope the plumbs work well, sounds like a great opportunity to try something knew. Excellent!!!

Troy

I bought 3 cans couple of weeks ago, each can weights 30+oz I recall, I didn't care for the flavor, ended mixing it with 5LB of fresh dates I found at a local Chinese market,3 gallons of water,sugar to 27 brix, 1LB of raisins and a pack of Premier Curvée(plus the usual stuff) I dont care for the flavor enough to make canned plum wine plus I hate corn syrup.

Last edited:
So what is everyone using for the recipe? It looks like the recipe posted says use 32 oz of plums per gallon. That equals out to about 1 can. Is that enough?

I saw it advertised last night they are having Strawberries for $1.19 a pound. Now that is a steal!
Two days ago I was in Walmart to see the wife. I saw they still had strawberries at $1.50 so decided to get two more pounds for a F-pac.
Talked to the wife and came back to find they were now $2.00.

I saw it advertised last night they are having Strawberries for $1.19 a pound. Now that is a steal!
Two days ago I was in Walmart to see the wife. I saw they still had strawberries at $1.50 so decided to get two more pounds for a F-pac.
Talked to the wife and came back to find they were now $2.00.

Is that frozen or fresh?

So what is everyone using for the recipe? It looks like the recipe posted says use 32 oz of plums per gallon. That equals out to about 1 can. Is that enough?

That sounds a little weak. Your probably best to shoot for around 5 pounds per gallon so that it's not a weak wine.

I bought 3 cans couple of weeks ago, each can weights 30+oz I recall, I didn't care for the flavor, ended mixing it with 5LB of fresh dates I found at a local Chinese market,3 gallons of water,sugar to 27 brix, 1LB of raisins and a pack of Premier Curvée(plus the usual stuff) I dont care for the flavor enough to make canned plum wine plus I hate corn syrup.

I did a search on corn syrup and there is not too much information on it. Won't the yeast convert it to alcohol? Does it leave a bad taste in the wine?
Do the yeasties know they are consuming corn syrup instead of sugar?
Larry

That sounds a little weak. Your probably best to shoot for around 5 pounds per gallon so that it's not a weak wine.

I've got a dozen cans to work with so I'll decide when I start opening cans and see what they look like but I'm guessing I will use 3 cans for my first little batch.
Larry

I've used corn sugar in other recipes, so I wouldn't worry about that. I bought 12 cans so I think I'll just use them all in a 6 gallon batch.

I did a search on corn syrup and there is not too much information on it. Won't the yeast convert it to alcohol? Does it leave a bad taste in the wine?
Do the yeasties know they are consuming corn syrup instead of sugar?
Larry

I used corn syrup in wine before and I was never happy with the results, all sweeteners have their own taste profile,my first choice for wine making is the fruits sugars alone like in grape juice, if additional sugars are needed I prefer the clean taste of refined sugar cane. corn syrup exist cause the government subsidies to farmers, it has an after taste and some studies showed that it may trigger heath problems. Try a Mexican or Canadian Coca Cola made with real sugar and compare the taste with the American version made with corn syrup, the foreign coke taste cleaner and crispier the the American for sure but like anything else if the taste doesn't bother you then indulge yourself in corn syrup.

I've used corn sugar in other recipes, so I wouldn't worry about that. I bought 12 cans so I think I'll just use them all in a 6 gallon batch.
Maybe save one for a f-pac

Either way, at just over a buck a pound you wont beat it. The strawberries are going to go up again. California is the spot they are coming from and it can't stay at this low price for long.

I just bought 24 cans at Aldi's for .69 ea. Now who thinks they have the best 6 gallon recipe for these..

I stopped at Aldi's this morning. The plums were still 1.29 a can and only 1 can was left. I'm glad I bought my dozen cans a few weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back