Aldi's has canned plums

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
hi all,
I remember reading a while back (don't know where) that people had made wine out of Aldi's canned plums. Visited an Aldi's over the weekend, and the canned plums are back. The are basically plums in corn syrup. No sulfites or preservatives added.

I talked to one of the managers there, and it's a special order item. When they are gone, they are gone.

Here is a pic of what they look like:

033110_1176_Plums_D.jpg

http://www.aldifoods.com/us/html/offers/2867_10770_ENU_HTML.htm

If someone can find the link about making wine out of aldi's plums, I'd appreciate it (come to think of it, it may have been over at winepress.us).

Must be winepress cause i just dove deep and found nothing under many different tries!

I did some looking and found this:

Canned Plum Wine
Ingredients

2 (16 oz.) cans of plums
3 1/2 quarts water
sugar
1 tsp. acid blend
1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme
yeast and nutrient
Heat the water. Drain the juice. Put plums(remove pits first) in a strainer bag and place in fermenter. Add plum juice,1 1/2 lbs. Sugar to warm water. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Check specific gravity. The goal is 1.90 (or 12% alcohol)add more sugar if needed. Pour this mixture over plum in fermenter. Add acid, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme and tannin. When cool add yeast. Let ferment 5 days then remove strainer bag . Let ferment until done.

I have an Aldi's near me and will look for these plums. I enjoy plum wine.
Larry

OK so you drink a Plum wine does it still give you the runs??? LOL :r

A prune is a dried up Plum! I must say I have never seen these and we do have an Aldis near here but I also have a plum wine in my basement that I made from store bought fruit which wasnt the best but decent and then sweetened with that Plum smart juice. Its pretty darn good now.

There was an old fella called Bruce,
Whose bowels were never too loose,
He Had face like a storm,
As constipation was the norm,
Until he discovered Prune juice.

The Moose is loose with Bruce's juice. Could be 'cause of the goose.

Had the runs this morning.

Run around the house so I can leave early for work and stop at Aldi's on the way.
Run out to the car and drive over to Aldi's.
Run inside and search for the canned plums.
Don't find any. Running out of store to find them.
Then I run into a big stack of cases of canned plums.
Grab a 12 can case and run to the register.
Pay and run to the car and load the plums into the car.
Run to work. (well actually drive). Made in with a couple minutes to spare.
Now to make some plum wine maybe this weekend. Whooo whooo.
Larry

Plums for wine 4 13 10.jpg

Run around the house so I can leave early for work and stop at Aldi's on the way.
Run out to the car and drive over to Aldi's.
Run inside and search for the canned plums.
Don't find any. Running out of store to find them.
Then I run into a big stack of cases of canned plums.
Grab a 12 can case and run to the register.
Pay and run to the car and load the plums into the car.
Run to work. (well actually drive). Made in with a couple minutes to spare.
Now to make some plum wine maybe this weekend. Whooo whooo.
Larry

Now there's a man with serious runs!

Larry, the clerk must think you have a problem.:)

A few years back I was having a contest at one of my parties. I bought many pounds of bananas. The clerk in the grocery store couldn't contain herself. Are you having a banana split party or something she asked? No, it was "How many bananas can you fit in your pants in 60 seconds" contest. There was no reply aside from have a nice day.

By the way, Our winner managed to fit 22 bananas in his pants in 60 seconds. The funniest part was having him remove them.:)

I would wwonder if after removing the pits it would be good to give them a quick whir in the blender or cusinart before putting them in you straining bag.

Larry, the clerk must think you have a problem.:)

A few years back I was having a contest at one of my parties. I bought many pounds of bananas. The clerk in the grocery store couldn't contain herself. Are you having a banana split party or something she asked? No, it was "How many bananas can you fit in your pants in 60 seconds" contest. There was no reply aside from have a nice day.

By the way, Our winner managed to fit 22 bananas in his pants in 60 seconds. The funniest part was having him remove them.:)

I cut that one off right away. As soon as I got to the register I said to the clerk "I'm making plum wine".

I would wwonder if after removing the pits it would be good to give them a quick whir in the blender or cusinart before putting them in you straining bag.
Not too sure yet until I take a look at the plums. If they are soft enough I may try mashing them in the strainer bag or bags.

Are you going to use the syrup they are packed in?

Yes, I think so. It has sugar and plum juice.
Larry

Latest posts

Back