Aldis Fruit Sale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madriver Wines

Reaction score
Went to the local Aldies store and they had strawberries from Dole for $.99 a lb. And they had blueberries for $.99 a pint. :DI bought all 9 pts they had and got 5 1/2 lbs blueberries. :rI am going to make 2 batches of 4L each. One using 3 lbs fruit and the other using 2.5 lbs. I am curious as to how much difference in taste there will be?? :?Going back tomorrow to see if there are more blueberries! The strawberries were great, ripe and not bruised or fuzzy. Another 3 gallons of strawberry is in the making!! But first the blueberry batches, oh what a quandry.:h
Steve

Just to give you some idea I use 17# to make a 5gal batch. At 4 1/4#/gal that comes to 4 gals. blueberries. After fermentation I'll use what's left and possibly add to it (blackberries or elderberries) to boost what's left over to make a smaller batch...say 3-4 gals.

Just to give you some idea I use 17# to make a 5gal batch. At 4 1/4#/gal that comes to 4 gals. blueberries. After fermentation I'll use what's left and possibly add to it (blackberries or elderberries) to boost what's left over to make a smaller batch...say 3-4 gals.
Your math is off alittle. That is 3.4 lbs per gallon. At 10oz per quart I come up with 5lbs for a gallon of berries?
I have trouble seeing how .4 is going to make much of a difference. Even Jack Kellers recipe calls for 2.5 lbs. ?? Not worried about f-pac as I plan on going back to get some more today to freeze for later.
Steve

Last edited:
I buy them by the gallon in a 1gal zip lock bag. The people I buy from measure out 4.25# of berries then fill the bag. They've been in the blueberry business business for 20+ years so I trust their judgement in this matter.

Ok, back from Aldis again. They had cases of blueberries and strawberries. I loaded up on both so not to worry. Now to explain to the wife why we have so much fruit and why she cant eat any of it. Hope you have a store near you.:b

Last edited:
Your math is off alittle. That is 3.4 lbs per gallon. At 10oz per quart I come up with 5lbs for a gallon of berries?
I have trouble seeing how .4 is going to make much of a difference. Even Jack Kellers recipe calls for 2.5 lbs. ?? Not worried about f-pac as I plan on going back to get some more today to freeze for later.
Steve
You are quite right that comes to 3.4#/gal of wine. However, 4gals of blueberries at 4.25#/gal (blueberries) comes to 17#'s. My recipe comes from a guy that is in the same club with Jack Keller. When all is said and done it really just depends on how much body you're looking for in a wine...more berries means more body. BTW, if you're only getting 10oz/quart of berries you're getting rooked, that is if I'm understanding you correctly.

Yes I agree. A pint is a pound in my books. :mBut the final price is still lower than it has been for a while. I was just trying to put out the word about possible cheap fruit for wine making. I dont argue the fact that more fruit = better wines. Just that my goals may not be the same as someone with a cellar full of wine.
:b Steve

Wow, all this math floating around. A pint is a pound, 10oz per quart, if 9 pints weighed 5.5 pounds then how can a pint equal a pound? - whew!! Just bustin on everyone is all.

All I know is 1 quart of Heritage Red Raspberries weighs approx. 1.5 lbs!! :D

I used 2.5 lbs of blueberries per gallon, and the wine is a deep purple, almost black looking, if that's any indicator. It's so dark I can't tell if it's clearing or not. I'll put it up to the light and I can see light through it and it's a purple color.

I think someone needs to invent a centrifuge device to aid in the clearing process by using centrifugal force. :r

Woa now mechanical engineering!! :h I back off in humility. :e
The bottom line is there is no set way to do this and that is half of the fun.
:b Steve

Ceegar;17274 I used 2.5 lbs of blueberries per gallon said:
Just FYI
I and others here use 5-6#'s per gallon for Blueberries or any kind of berry. You wind up with a more body annd flavoefull wine.
The "pints" sold in the store are "DRY PINTS" which = 12 oz most of the time.

Latest posts

Back