Alcohol problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
I have been very busy with an emergency in my household. My wife has been closet drinking booze for some time now and in complete denial about it till yesterday. On Monday at work I received a call from the chiropractor that they were calling an ambulance to have my wife transported to the hospital. She had fallen in early February downstairs and broke her nose and when I got home from ice fishing on Lake of the Woods I found her with two very black eyes and a swollen nose. Her eyes were almost closed off from the swelling above and below her eyes, very disconcerting. Little did we know that she had torn a vessel that ties the brain to the skull inside and over the last weeks had been leaking blood into the brain cavity. The pressure built up over time and in the last few weeks she has been losing control of her right side. I pressured her to start with the chiro thinking it might be a pinched nerve and when they took one look at her they made the decision to transport her. Monday night they drilled two holes in her skull to alleviate the pressure and the blood has been draining out and the neurosurgeon thought it would. She has made tremendous progress in one day and today they are going to get her up and walking to start the physical therapy. In a way this is the best thing that could have happened to shed light on the situation. After a heartfelt conversation with her she finally admitted to drinking too much. Thank you!!!!!!! From here forward it can only get better. I am going to contact the pros here and try and get her into an out patient treatment program to help her with this, I know I can't do it by myself. This will be after she has some recovery of her movements and can drive again. It will be a long process and the benefits to our relationship will help as well. This all started after her getting laid of from her job of twenty five years and I guess depression is a big part of it. Right now things are looking much better and I am getting ready to head back down to the hospital. I'm being told she may be in the hospital for five days and is still in intensive care. Hoping today she can be move to a normal care bed. Thanks now for what I expect I'll get from members. I'm glad this was not caused by the wine I've been making and will more than likely put the brakes on my production once the bulk aging is complete on what I have going now. My plan is to stop bringing any alcohol into the house and I am going to curtail drinking while she is going thru this. I guess the jist of this is that there has been more consequences to jobs than just layoffs numbers. Please keep us in your prayers I and will provide progress as this moves forward. Thanks to all!

I feel your pain...

My mother was a REALLY BAD closet drinker. She would drink mostly gin because it had no smell.

I came home one day to see her laying on the floor having seasures. We rushed her to hospital. Turns out it was the DTs after she did not have anything to drink for 2 days.

They addressed her medical problems, but boy was this rough. I could only stand at her bed and watch her halucinate. I was 19.

The best thing they did was send her in re-hab. She was in for 90 days, during which time they got inside her head and addressed the mental trauma that always seems to accompany addictions. The good thing is that she has been sober now for 30 years.

Keep up hope. You can get through this with God's help. Also remember that this addiction is a desease. If efforts are being made by your wife to battle this, be supportive and most importantly, ready to forgive (this is the hardest part of it all).

johnT.

Wow, that is an intense story, WineYooper. I sincerely hope that all this works out for you and your family. From what you have stated above, you are doing all the right things. It is a big step to admit that there is a problem. That has to be more than 50% of recovery. I wish you all the best in the coming days. It will be tough and it seems you and your wife have the right perspective. Good luck!

Last edited:
Glad to hear both problems were caught in time.

You just might have to find another hobby, but you have to do what you have to do. I am sure she is well worth it.

I fell down the stairs last week and only tore what's left of the rotator cuff of my right shoulder. I was feeling sorry for myself until I read your post. Now I don't feel so sorry for myself.

God Speed.

You are both in my thoughts and prayers. Good luck with the long recovery process.

family

you know it doesn't matter how big this forum grows when one of us hurts we all can feel the sorry and the pain I THINK THAT'S WHAT BINDS US ..winemaking:i

Got home from the hospital late last night tired and excited from what I saw yesterday. They removed the skull drain tube and catheter and started to get her up to a sitting position and by the time I left she was sitting up on her own with feet on the floor. The change I have seen from last week till now is remarkable, it's amazing how fast our system can recover and repair itself. With what I saw, I expect today they will get her walking and then move her to the general care area. She is like the person I knew quite some time ago and I am very happy when I am not crying. I'm sure it's the stress and exhaustion. Always thought I was a strong person but sure have been proving myself wrong. The plan for me is to go in early this afternoon since her sisters are in town and sitting with her now. They will be leaving shortly thereafter and I will on my own with her.

We have an extended family member that went through a similar situation. It really got me thinking what I would do if someone in my household developed a problem. I guess I'd have no choice but to eliminate it from the house. I supposed I could still belong to a club or something where everything is done elsewhere, but it would be tough to keep it up.

My heart truly aches for everyone dealing with alcoholism. Someone in my family has been forever damaged at the hands of an alcoholic. I read recently that everyone knows someone affected by alcoholism.

Wineyopper
We will pray for you and your family as I have seen what alcoholism can do to a family. You are doing the right thing !!

Thanks Steve

Good to hear that things are progressing, WineYooper. None of us who have not faced such a situation know how he would react. It could be stress and exhaustion or it could be a feeling of helplessness when you are trying to help a loved one. I was in the Service with a bunch of guys from the Minnesota National Guard and they were to a man tough, dependable and good soldiers. I am betting you will be fine.

Wow, thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You just made any problems I thought I had this week disappear into thin air......

So glad to hear that she is improving! You both have a long road ahead of you, best of luck to her, you and your family!

Just wanted to provide an update on my wife Billie. Everything has gone extremely well and she is like the person I knew quite some time ago. She has no observable damage from this and her mind and memory seem to be as good as they were before. Oops forgot, she has a shaved head, but that will grow back. She has quit closet drinking and has not touched anything from what I've observed. I think our discussions really helped out along with some changes I'm working on to help her feel better about herself and us. Can you imagine she thinks I fish too much? Didn't think there was such a thing. I am really happy with this so far and will do everything to keep this going. Thanks everyone for your prayers and good wishes.

This is very good news, I am so happy things are working out for you two and Billie is doing better. Best of luck to you two.

Latest posts

Back