Alcohol percentage of 19.05%!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I just figured out the alcohol percentage of my wines in process.
Most of them are in the acceptable range of 11 - 13% except something went drastically wrong with the black currant wine, as well as the jalepeno wine. According to my calculations:

Jalepeno... Starting SG (1.085) - Ending SG (.940) x 131.4 = 19.05

Black Currant... Starting SG (1.086) - Ending SG (.950) x 131.4 = 17.87

I was under the impression that SG of around 1.085 always made a wine around 11%.
Should I be checking the SG and not letting it ferment out so dry?

How did you meaqsure that low of an sg, I have never seen a hydrometer that goes that low!!!!!!! Are you sure you dont mean .995 and .985?

We just bought a bottle of wine at the state store the other day that was so dry it had no flavor. I pulled out my hydrometer and got a reading of .990

Never had one that low before. I just bought it because it had a blend of several wines. Sounded good. Maybe I should just stick to my own.

Look on the Hydrommeter Scale. @ 1.085 it has a potiental alchol of 11% If you finish at .992 add 1% that equals 12% MAX
Like what Wade said NO scale goes that LOW!

Ha, I screwed up on the measurement! I swear, I wasn't even drinking at the time. I'll double check the SG sometime this weekend, but that must be what happened. Whew! I wasn't looking forward to drinking 19% wine.

I need to go back to "Hydrometer Reading 101" :ib

Thanks everyone!

That explains it! :slp
You should have a glass OR 2 :dg of wine when doing this
CHEERS !

Newbie:

I would guess that your readings are .994 and .995. Of course, it's a good idea to confirm that.

Steve

Latest posts

Back