alcohol free

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they say its alcohol free. atleast they label it that in our shops!!!!

YOU CAN'T ! Its called JUICE!
Now what do you really want here? All of your post make no sense.
Tom:

Apparently you need to get out into the real world more, and take your meds. :p Not a nice way to welcome a new member.

Naxxy:

I don't know about Botswana Africe, but some grocery stores in Canada and the USA carry "de-alcoholized" wine and beer. I believe it is 'real wine' that has somehow had the alcohol removed. The beers tend to be 0.5% alcohol, so not really alcohol-free, but low enough that liquor regs do not apply. I don't recall looking closely at these wines. These are different from the high-salt cooking wines.

This question has been asked before on another forum, but I don't believe that anybody had any good ideas on how to do it.

One questioner wanted very low alcohol wine to serve at a major family party (anniversary or something similar), so that the many kids could join in the toasts and what-not. Sort of, a training wine. I think they ended up using apple juice for the kids. But that discussion was a couple of years ago.

Steve

Steve,
So we are now criticizing messages? Take it private if you want to critique.
One thing we try to do is spark conversation and weed out spamers. So far the 3 messages he sent made no sense.
Gee am I the only one that said it is juice?

You could always make regular wine and then heat it on the stove untill most of the good stuff evaporates. :p Can't really say what the effect on the wine might be.

CPFAN: is it the salt content that makes something a cooking wine rather then a drinking wine?

You could always make regular wine and then heat it on the stove untill most of the good stuff evaporates. :p Can't really say what the effect on the wine might be.

CPFAN: is it the salt content that makes something a cooking wine rather then a drinking wine?

I haven't tried it b/c I want alcohol, but freezing might be an option.

I have seen sparkling fruit juices sold in the wine section. We had bought some for the kids to have at Christmas. All it really was, is fizzy fruit juice.
It came in a champagne bottle.

I haven't tried it b/c I want alcohol, but freezing might be an option.

Sadly, no. If so, I'd do it for my pregnant wife who is missing her wine with dinner. Freezing would allow you to remove some of the water, but the alcohol and flavor would remain. In fact, you'd be increasing the alcohol.

I have seen sparkling fruit juices sold in the wine section. We had bought some for the kids to have at Christmas. All it really was, is fizzy fruit juice.
It came in a champagne bottle.

Yeah... I used to drink that stuff on New Years eve when I was a wee lad. It was fun to pop the cork on my bottle when the adults were popping their champagne corks. The sparkling cider within the bottle wasn't bad to drink, either.

I've never actually tried cooking wine, but it was my understanding that it is so salty as to be undrinkable.

Here's a quote from a page I just found, no guarantees that it is correct.
Generally, a Cooking Wine will contain approximately 1 teaspoon of salt for each 8 ounces of wine. Commercial cooking wines are not made for drinking and contain no alcohol, which would evaporate during cooking if the alcohol was present.

Steve

I have no idea how to make alcohol free wine, but it must be possible to make low alcohol wine. I'm wondering if it might be something like making root beer. Perhaps if the sugar content of the must or juice was low enough, you could mix the juice and yeast and bottle right away - from what I understand, the fermentation begins, reaches a certain point and the resulting pressure in the bottle then kills the yeast. You would have a low alcohol but carbonated wine - I suppose this is like priming beer as well. I don't know how you get it non - carbonated - open it and let it go flat!?
Anyway, it's an interesting question.
.. Doug

alcohol evaporates at a lower temperature than water

Not quite. Alcohol and water will BOTH evaporate at room temperature -- ie, a container of water left in the open in a room will eventually lose all of its water, just like a container of alcohol. The alcohol DOES, however, evaporate FASTER than the water does.

It is almost the same thing to say that the BOILING point of alcohol is lower than the boiling point of water.

When the temperature of a liquid is above its boiling point, it can no longer remain in a liquid form -- all of it goes into a gas, almost all at once.

When a liquid is below its boiling point, SOME of it goes into a gaseous state. This fractional evaporation rate is dependent upon many things, including temperature.

That you can use the faster evaporation rate (or lower boiling point) of alcohol over water to separate the two, is the principle used in a still.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/make-your-own-ethanol2.htm

I THINK that an open container of wine will lose its alcohol content at a faster rate than its water content. But I'm not 100% certain. This however, would make an simple experiment. Just pour some wine into ana pot and raise temp to about 100 degress and wait. Now with experiment continue to check SG with Hydrometer. when it stop changing the alcohol should be gone

Last edited:
Actually I believe hes talking about when cooking like in distilling. Alcohol will boil out before water will. It starts to boil at about 173.3* while water at 212* That is how you distill alc.

Why not just get your favorite juice and keg it. Now its carbonated, bubbly and free flowing. If I could of had this when I was a kid I would have been in heaven. Even in the summer (yeah whats that) I would enjoy this if it worked while working outside. :try

I have no idea how to make alcohol free wine, but it must be possible to make low alcohol wine. I'm wondering if it might be something like making root beer. Perhaps if the sugar content of the must or juice was low enough, you could mix the juice and yeast and bottle right away - from what I understand, the fermentation begins, reaches a certain point and the resulting pressure in the bottle then kills the yeast. You would have a low alcohol but carbonated wine - I suppose this is like priming beer as well.

That is dangerously wrong. The pressure in the bottle will not kill the yeast, it will keep fermenting until the yeast run out of sugar or the bottle breaks. You'll create a lot of bottle bombs.

With root beer, you leave the bottles out for a week to carbonate then you refrigerate them to make the yeast go dormant. If you let said bottles of root beer warm up again, they may restart fermentation and blow up.

I THINK that an open container of wine will lose its alcohol content at a faster rate than its water content. But I'm not 100% certain. This however, would make an simple experiment. Just pour some wine into ana pot and raise temp to about 100 degress and wait. Now with experiment continue to check SG with Hydrometer. when it stop changing the alcohol should be gone

Interesting... so if you did that, then added water back in to compensate for the water lost with the alcohol, you'd theoretically have alcohol-free wine. I can't imagine it would be very good, though, after both the exposure to air while evaporating the alcohol away and the heating process.

Could be a fun experiment for someone, though. Hell, I might try it sometime for grins.

...... With root beer, you leave the bottles out for a week to carbonate then you refrigerate them to make the yeast go dormant. If you let said bottles of root beer warm up again, they may restart fermentation and blow up.

Oho, my brother and I when we were kids use to make root beer soda, with the help of our Mom. I have no idea how we did it. We never kept it cold, it was placed on their sides in the basement and when we would open a bottle we would have to place it in the sink because when we opened it the fiz would shoot to the ceiling! By George no wonder we liked that stuff!

Julie

That is dangerously wrong. The pressure in the bottle will not kill the yeast, it will keep fermenting until the yeast run out of sugar or the bottle breaks. You'll create a lot of bottle bombs.

With root beer, you leave the bottles out for a week to carbonate then you refrigerate them to make the yeast go dormant. If you let said bottles of root beer warm up again, they may restart fermentation and blow up.

Tooth - thanks for correcting me on this; it seems I was given some faulty info ( should have checked it out more thoroughly). I had made some ginger beer a while ago so I just went and checked and fortunately the remaining bottles are in all in a refrigerator.

Latest posts

Back