alcohol difference between vintners juices base gallon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejr

wine addict
Reaction score
Im looking to make a 3 gallon kit out of vintners elderberry 128 0z juice base, I would like to know if anyone would know the difference in percentage of alcohol I know a 5 gallon kit is 10 percent so a 3 gallon should be around 13 with more flavor. Im sure others has done this any pointers would be appreciated.I was also thinking of using 2 packs of 71b-1122 yeast in it?

Im looking to make a 3 gallon kit out of vintners elderberry 128 0z juice base, I would like to know if anyone would know the difference in percentage of alcohol I know a 5 gallon kit is 10 percent so a 3 gallon should be around 13 with more flavor. Im sure others has done this any pointers would be appreciated.I was also thinking of using 2 packs of 71b-1122 yeast in it?
I don't understand what you are asking. You decide the amount of alcohol you will produce by adding sugar to get to your desired beginning sg (or Brix, if you have a refractometer).

I also don't see the benefit of adding two packages of yeast. One is enough for 6 gallons (maybe even 8).

Just have to be careful that the sugar levels are not too high. If they are, the sugar acts as a preservative.
Most folks tweak kits by going from 6 gallons to 5 ( according to my rough mental math, about a 20% decrease in size)

Going from 5 to 3 should be about 30% (i think?) Might be enough to throw the s.g. off

71B should work well, but as mentioned above you only need one for basically all kits. For yours, a half a pack would suffice. Throw a whole pack in anyway, it wont hurt anything.

I think that I understand your question/situation. Let's take a look.

The Vinter's Harvest 1 gallon concentrate is supposed to make 5 gal with a sugar of 18.9 Brix (which is ~1.078 SG). So the original concentrate must have had a SG of (1-1.078)*5+1=1.390. If, instead, you mixed this 1 gallon of concentrate into a 3 gal. batch, the SG would be be (1.1390+2*1.000)/3=1.130 SG, which equates to ~20% ABV.

Soooo, I think you will have too much sugar in that hooch!

Last edited:
That would be way to high, I thought about that and it makes sense using half the water it would double, 4 gallon would be about right but i don't have a 4 gallon carboy and i don't like any space in my carboy. Thanks for the information.

make two separate batches each batch at sg-1.092 which will be 12% the sweet spot for wine.
I'm thinking 2 four gallon batches I have a three and a 5 gallon carboy I also have 2 kits in stock.

Latest posts

Back