Alcohol content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myakkagldwngr

Reaction score
After it has finished, how can you go about figuring the alcohol content of the wine you've made,,
other than the simple way, drinking a bottle and seeing what the wife does to you.

The only sure way to know is by taking a hydrometer reading from the start (this gives sugar content and potential alcohol) and then again once fermentation has stopped. Read the instructions that come with the hydrometer for an in depth explanation.

There are other ways but they are pricey and I dont know exactly what they are but Ive seen them at a few wineries and require some chemist skills. I dont think Wineries are allowed just to use the method we do and the ATF use the more expensive method also cause at a certain abv they wack the wineries hard for abv tax! I think its over 15% and they up the tax pretty considerably!

Use a hydrometer to test specific gravity before and after fermentation...

Take the specific gravity of the juice prior to fermentation (SG1)
Take the specific gravity of the wine after first racking (SG2)
subtract SG2 from SG1 and divide by .0074

SG1-SG2/.0074 will give you a pretty close alcohol by volume...

Example -
If Initial specific gravity was 1.1
and first racked wine specific gravity is .995
1.1-.995=.105
.105/.0074=14.18%

So your wine will be approx 14% alcohol by volume...
Hope that helps!

You never know... If we are both married, then I would say yes,, we all are brothers after we've suffered thru a few years of marriage...
30 for me.

You never know... If we are both married, then I would say yes,, we all are brothers after we've suffered thru a few years of marriage...
30 for me.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who actually likes being married. Not saying its all puppy dogs and rainbows...but coming up on 7 years of marriage I cannot say I've suffered once (and we dated for 5 years and lived together for almost 4 years before we tied the knot).

OK, now that we are off topic, I guy at work once told me something very wise. "Buy her the shoes, it's cheaper than a divorce..."

They used to check the proof of rum by mixing it with gunpowder. If it ignited, the alcohol content was high enough. Of course, we don't recommend that here...

I try to explain to my kids, when you've been with a woman more than half your life, you've got to enjoy it.
And I think I'll stick to my test, what does a half a bottle do...:h

My wife told me yesterday that if i make anymore wine that she is going to leave me :(

I,m sure going to miss her ::

I like to complain but after almost 32 years of marrage I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I was single.lol :hBelieve me when I say she gets even with her friends.:)
Digger ,she will be missed by all who knew her:r

Mine is happy that I've found a hobby I'm enjoying. Just as long as I don't mix it with my other one, riding my motorcycle. She likes that hobby alot.

only problem im having is my girlfriend is getting annoyed by the sound of my airlock bubbling(its a homemade contraption)
i told her she could sleep in the shed if it gets that bothersome for her :r:):r

I love being married to. I have been married 30 years this week. Just not all to the same woman. ::

Congratulations Smurfe!

I'm sure your wife is your best friend after so many years.

Allie

only problem im having is my girlfriend is getting annoyed by the sound of my airlock bubbling(its a homemade contraption)
i told her she could sleep in the shed if it gets that bothersome for her :r:):r
A man has to set his priorities. Mine is set by my wife lol.:)

Latest posts

Back