alcohol content to prevent vinegar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If my port wines are 18-20% alcohol will that prevent it from turning to vinegar? I tried to find an answer online but couldn't come up with anything. Is there a limit to how much alcohol vinegar bacteria can tolerate?

SOP is to use KM to keep vinegar away, without KM its just a matter of time before it gets you :) WVMJ

If my port wines are 18-20% alcohol will that prevent it from turning to vinegar? I tried to find an answer online but couldn't come up with anything. Is there a limit to how much alcohol vinegar bacteria can tolerate?

Wine becomes vinegar when it's been contaminated by acetobacter bacteria...it consumes the alcohol and converts it to acetic acid.
Adding brandy raises the alcohol level in the wine to a point where it's toxic to the acetobacter bacteria...the bacteria cannot survive to consume the alcohol, etc.
This is where sherry and port originated. When transporting the wines over long distances (which took much more time), they'd fortify the wine with brandy as a means of preserving it. Generally, an alcohol concentration of over 18% is sufficient to keep most bugs away and preserve the wine for extended periods.

James is this why vodkas and such dont need topping up as critically as wine does?

I agree with James, but vinegar is an oxidative process--meaning it takes oxygen to produce it. Acetobacter is everywhere so the way to prevent it is using sulfite and limiting your headspace so you don't have that oxygen exposure. Also, yeast produces small amounts of vinegar, so every ferment has a small amount of it.

Actually, I think I read somewhere that even whiskies will degrade due to contact with excess oxygen.. However, I do not think the effect is quite as pronounced.. If anyone can verify this I would appreciate it.

seth i have heard the same thing, but can not find much on it.
besides, once i open one, it will be gone pretty dang quick.

Back