Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wineman727

Junior
Reaction score
Alright so I bought the Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible. I wanna make peach wine from the recipe in the book heres something I dont get. Its says to pour boiling water over crushed peaches and then let it sit in the container and ferment. So do I put the crushed peaches in the container then strain it out when im one or just let the boiling water strain through the peaches and toss the peaches right after that?

Does anyone else have experience with this book?

This is a great book !!!
Straightforward and fun to read.......

The method is just pulp-fermenting.
Crush the peaches and pour boiling water over them.
Next cool down and add the yeast and just let it ferment on
the pulp.

Luc

They are talking about using wild yeast when they say let it ferment. I wouldn't. Put the crushed peaches in a straining bag and add pectic enzyme for 24 hrs before adding the yeast.
Check in the "recipies" here for info. I'm sure there is something. If not I knoe people here that make Peadh wine :i

Can't speak for the book but I have and made wine by pouring the water over the fruit and adding the rest of ingredients after. The fruit remains to be pushed down twice daily until it's removal @ 1.020

Thanks everyone. But I have no idea what you guys are talking about. lol Im new to this. Whats a straining bag? What do you mean by pushing down the peach pulp? I thought you were just supposed to run the water over it. And what do you mean let it ferment on the pulp?

and whats pectic enzyme and what does the 1.020 mean in this sentence?

"The fruit remains to be pushed down twice daily until it's removal @ 1.020"

They are talking about using wild yeast when they say let it ferment.

On page 15 he suggests to use real wine yeast.

Besides that the recipe would not work with the wild yeast as the yeast would die from the boiling water poured over the fruit.......

Luc

Actually Tom is wrong as pouring boiling water over the peaches will kill the wild yeast. The boiling water helps break down the fruit better and kind of works like adding pectic enzyme but wont help with a pectin haze so if you encounter this then youll need to add pectic enzyme. Id do so as soon as the temp was around 70* myself.

Luc, you just beat me!

Pectic enzyme is an additive that will help break down the cellular walls of the fruit so that the flavor and color are extracted and will also prevent a haze from the excess pectin in the fruit.

If you get bored someday you could have a look at the milk wine recipie in the book.... it is .... interisting to say the least

So this is how you make peach wine?

You crush up the peaches. Then pour boiling water over the peaches. Then toss the peaches. Then you add sugar and yeast to the peach water solution and let it ferment in a bucket. Then you pour in in bottles when its done fermenting and let it age.

Did i get it right?

Well there is just a little bit more to it than that lol.
1-The sugar you pour into it is best if its been inverted. (Boiled in water or must and turnd into a syrup).
2- make a starter, mix some of your yeast into a small pint sized something of warm water and sugar.. let it do its thing for atleast a couple hours ( overnight if you want a huge healthy yeast colony to insure fermentation picks up)
3- I believe you can choose to leave the pulp in for the primary fermentation to try and get more peach flavor. ( correct me if im wrong)
4- Then after most of the fermentation is complete (use a hyrdomoter to figure this out.... or if your brave you can try and judge by the co2 activity) you rack it ( siphon it) into a secondary fermentation vessel and put an airlock on it and allow it to age.

This is the bare bone nitty gritty as i can tell. please someone correct me if im wrong. i know i didnt really go into enzymes and some of the other stuff

You ferment on the peaches for around 5 days then pull out the fruit. When its done fermenting you then add sulfites to prevent oxidation and also add sorbate to prevent refermentation if you are going to sweeten it. Do you have a hydrometer? If so stay low on the sugar when following a recipe and adjust up. most fruit wines will be much better with a starting gravity of around 1.085. Also, most older recipes have low amounts of fruit and high amounts of sugar and many have found (including me) that all this makes is tasteless colored alc. The rule of thumb now is pretty much 6 lbs of fruit per gallon or more.

Latest posts

Back