Alabama wine makers?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where you at Ken. I am near Palmerdale and Clay. Neeshak and I are getting together some time soon.

Whats up guys! just north of birmingham in springville on a farm. a few years ago I started growing Chardonnay, Syrah, merlot and mourvadre vines getting ready for the winds of change to blow through the state legislature and possibly to look at starting a business down the road if I can continue to grow them. So this will be my first vintage and I am stoked.

Whats up guys! just north of birmingham in springville on a farm. a few years ago I started growing Chardonnay, Syrah, merlot and mourvadre vines getting ready for the winds of change to blow through the state legislature and possibly to look at starting a business down the road if I can continue to grow them. So this will be my first vintage and I am stoked.

Hey man, don't you know you can't grow those varieties in Alabama. do you do it in a walk in cooler?

I gots to see that. I live near Clay, about 15 minutes from Springville. When I get back to Bama, I may send you a message.

Like I said earlier, Neeshak are getting together, possibly at my place. Maybe you can join us. We will just be swapping information, maybe have a wine tasting on my deck or dock. We all live fairly close to each other.

Sounds good guys. @ olust. You can grow those varietals in Alabama, but not without work. There is mainly fungus to deal with in our climate and the soil with clay can be problematic. Also our ripening season is shorter than other areas due to the real warn nights. I spoke with some wineries in Alabama doing these types of plantings and it was possible particularly as you go farther north in the state and away from the wet environments. And heck, just because some one has not done it yet does not mean it can't be done. My biggest fear is Pierce's disease which has been the biggest set back in Alabama.

Last edited:
I live in a mountainous area that is traditionally about 5 degrees cooler than the Birmingham temps. We have a breeze very often as it is in a valley, with lakes nearby. I would be interested in how you do. I have an area that gets lots of midday sun, afternoon and morning shade. I could make me a vineyard there.

I am currently growing some muscadines in an area in my back yard that gets very little sun but they are growing! They were plants about 2 or three years old and they have doubled in length since I planted them in early May. I suppose that ain't bad. I don't really expect a lot of production but I need some vines if I am calling it Jade Lake Vineyards. I only have about 60 feet of trellis on two lines 30 feet apart. We will see.

I hope we can all get together soon! I too would like to see those grapes growing in Bama!

Does living above the state line in TN but working in Huntsville count?

Heck yea js! Would love to meet you as well and swap ideas.

JS, could you come down to near Birmingham. We can set up some interesting stuff. We can meet at my place, go over to nucjd's, there is another muscadine vineyard on the mountain behind my house.

When would be a good time? Saturday? start out mid morning or later?

Maybe we could share by way of tasting. In moderation unfortunately.

We could make this a quarterly thing maybe, going to various places. I could certainly go to Tennessee if I got a visa and interpreter.

I bet I could get us a tour at the winery in Albertville and or Wills Creek, near Attalla.

JS, could you come down to near Birmingham. We can set up some interesting stuff. We can meet at my place, go over to nucjd's, there is another muscadine vineyard on the mountain behind my house.

When would be a good time? Saturday? start out mid morning or later?

Maybe we could share by way of tasting. In moderation unfortunately.

We could make this a quarterly thing maybe, going to various places. I could certainly go to Tennessee if I got a visa and interpreter.

I bet I could get us a tour at the winery in Albertville and or Wills Creek, near Attalla.

Since I live on a farm myself, I have to plan a little farther out than that. Birmingham's 140 miles from me. I'd like to do it, though.

I hope we can make this happen! I am very interested in asking questions, learning something, and sharing some wine!

Howdy y'all!
Checking in from So Shelby County here.

:pty Whoo hoo! We're legal! May 8th should be a new holiday.

Viv
Currently cooking: Muscadine wine
Coming soon: Scuppernong wine, Elderberry wine, Spiced Apple Melomel

Latest posts

Back