Airlock questions from a beginner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie Mel

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I transferred from primary to secondary. I filled the airlock and it was even on both sides. I placed the airlock on and checked to make sure there was a tight fit. There are no bubbles unless I slightly shake the bottle and all the liquid has moved to one chamber. Is this normal? (First picture)
Also, in second picture I have racked once. I topped to very close to top of jar because I read about too much airspace being a problem, I may have over done it, the wine is actually in the airlock (2nd picture) and airlock is not bubbling either. Should I pour some of the wine out?

Attachments

• 607B038C-E051-4C96-AEF9-A699C4E4494C.jpeg
    607B038C-E051-4C96-AEF9-A699C4E4494C.jpeg
    49.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 3209A962-9D0F-4CC6-8C3F-C905F5CEF375.jpeg
    3209A962-9D0F-4CC6-8C3F-C905F5CEF375.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 46
Your jug is too full. Depending on the quantity of wine and the shape of the container, you want 1" to 3" of headspace. Smaller quantities of wine are more likely to react negatively with a larger headspace.

As long as there is liquid in the lock, it's fine. Unless the wine is actively fermenting or degassing, there is no movement in the airlock. However, changes in temperature and air pressure will move the liquid around.

Last edited:
Yesterday I transferred from primary to secondary. I filled the airlock and it was even on both sides. I placed the airlock on and checked to make sure there was a tight fit. There are no bubbles unless I slightly shake the bottle and all the liquid has moved to one chamber. Is this normal? (First picture)
Also, in second picture I have racked once. I topped to very close to top of jar because I read about too much airspace being a problem, I may have over done it, the wine is actually in the airlock (2nd picture) and airlock is not bubbling either. Should I pour some of the wine out?
In addition the good information above, when you transfer your wine, the wine releases some of the CO2 it has in solution, so there’s not much initial off-gassing. You‘ll most likely notice some pressure building in your airlock, and see some bubbling as it releases more CO2, assuming you’ve got tight connections.

it looks like glass/ rigid which is good, this tends to not accidentally push wine into the air lock or suck back into the bottle. ,,,,, I have targeted half an inch to an inch, the goal is just enough to keep the air lock clean ,,,, also a six gallon will tolerate more air than a half gallon.

* it is possible that the cork isn’t giving a good seal so no bubbles, * it is possible the fermentation is at 1.000 gravity so any gas is slow * as noted there will be some degassing in racking so you start from zero pressure
I wouldn’t worry if about the lack of bubbles, at first racking there usually is a lot of safety factor.

Your jug (the one with the white plastic handle) is definitely too full.

I like to leave a little bit more, well over an inch. This is because you may have a secondary fermentation as you bulk age your wine.
This can be sparked by having any residual sugar left in your wine and a rise in it temperature. Barometric pressure can also slightly fluctuate the level of your wine.

An inch gap, I have found, is a good safety buffer. like others have said, you do not want wine to work its way into you trap.

One question: What have you filled your traps with?

Your jug (the one with the white plastic handle) is definitely too full.

I like to leave a little bit more, well over an inch. This is because you may have a secondary fermentation as you bulk age your wine.
This can be sparked by having any residual sugar left in your wine and a rise in it temperature. Barometric pressure can also slightly fluctuate the level of your wine.

An inch gap, I have found, is a good safety buffer. like others have said, you do not want wine to work its way into you trap.

One question: What have you filled your traps with?
Thank you! I have since emptied some out. The trap is filled with vodka. Is that ok?

The trap is filled with vodka. Is that ok?
Vodka is fine. Some use K-meta water, and some (like me) use plain 'ole water most of the time.

I check airlocks weekly and switch to vented bungs once fermentation is completely done. I also swap out airlocks and bungs monthly, or sooner if I see anything out of the ordinary.

Vodka is fine. Some use K-meta water, and some (like me) use plain 'ole water most of the time.

I check airlocks weekly and switch to vented bungs once fermentation is completely done. I also swap out airlocks and bungs monthly, or sooner if I see anything out of the ordinary.
Oh so much to learn! Wasn’t aware of vented bungs 🤦🏻‍♀️
Yesterday I read that an indicator that fermentation is complete is when the liquid in the airlock reaches equilibrium. Would you agree with that?

Yesterday I read that an indicator that fermentation is complete is when the liquid in the airlock reaches equilibrium. Would you agree with that?
Nope. Lack of activity in an airlock typically indicates fermentation is stopped, but that doesn't mean it's complete. Trust your hydrometer to tell you when fermentation is complete -- it's the best way for a home winemaker to make the determination.

Stuck fermentations happen, and thousands of winemakers have learned, to their chagrin, that a stuck fermentation can come unstuck in the bottle. This can push corks out (making a mess) or produce mini-volcanoes. If bottled in screwcap bottles, it can produce grenades if the pressure in the bottle exceeds the glass' strength.

While I'm lecturing ( ;) ), the liquid in an airlock can be out of equilibrium due to temperature and air pressure changes, and if the wine is outgassing (emitting excess CO2 post-fermentation). Think of the airlock as simply a barrier that keeps air out of your wine, which may (or may not) indicate you have some type of activity.

Back