Airlock Problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdaniels9

Junior
Reaction score
Hey, does anyone here have problems with getting the airlock out of the carboys for testing and such?

How far do you push your cork in? Do you push it in until the bottom of the chamber (with the water) touches the lip of the car boy? Or do you just push it in a tiny bit?

I have a hell of a time pulling them out. I had to pull so hard I broke the last airlock I had.

Hey, does anyone here have problems with getting the airlock out of the carboys for testing and such?

How far do you push your cork in? Do you push it in until the bottom of the chamber (with the water) touches the lip of the car boy? Or do you just push it in a tiny bit?

I have a hell of a time pulling them out. I had to pull so hard I broke the last airlock I had.

When you say cork do you mean the bung that your airlock is inserted into? If so trying using a smaller one. Mind fit into the carboy nicely without forcing it in and they come our fairly easy.

I work my cork/bung in quit aways, usually to within an inch or less for most carboys. I really fill my carboys if at all possible. Getting them out can sometimes be difficult. I don't pull or put any pressure on the airlocks 'cause yes they do break easily.

When putting them in in the beginning I will push them in at an angle so that the water/solution is slightly closer to the wine. As I complete the insertion and straighten the bung the pressure will push the water/solution out so it becomes more even/centered in the airlock.

Getting them out just requires a little practice but I only remove them to rack or bottle. I won't remove them just to test.

If you are trying to get the bung off remove the airlock first, then the bung will be very easy to get off / out

What Tom said. Also remember you must only make it airtight. Once the stopper is seated I just give it a little push so that it won't pop out.

Ive broken a few airlocks trying to get them out of the bung, they are cheap plastic ones and they are sometimes bigger then they should be. There a few that are much more brittle then the others and they are usually green ones, the softer clear ones are much better then the harder ones as they give a little instead of breaking very quickly.

I switched to a bigger bung. Mine will not fit all the way in, only about 3/4. Still seals real well but you can grab the bung to pull out instead of the airlock. My supplier has about 15 different sizes depending on the type of carboy.

Latest posts

Back