Airlock or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbee

Reaction score
I have decided to try to make some Apple/Maderia. I have my Estufa/Oven about done. I am ready to fortify my wine and start the baking process. What I can't for the life of me find out is how do I cap my jugs. I know from reading, that oxidation is part of the process. But to what extent.Do I leave the jugs open,corked or do I leave an Airstop on them. I have spent way too much time on the net looking for the answer. I have found out just about everything else but this. Any ideas out there.
I just joined this board yesterday and have been wandering around the site trying to get a feel for it. There is some great stuff here. Thank you
Woodbee

Woodbee:

Welcome to our little place of happy fermenters.

If I understand your question correctly, you should be putting a bung and airlock in your jug during fermentation, clearing, etc etc.

Steve

Actually Steve,My wine is done fermenting and has been cleared. It has been racked three times. I will fortify the wine with brandy to stop any further fermention. Then it will go into an oven for about three months at 110-130 degrees. I will be using wide mouth gallon jugs for the baking process and I don't know what to use to cap them if any at all.

OK, that is exactly what was confusing me. I have never heard of this before, so good luck.

Steve

My impression is that a Maderias flavour comes from the cooking process rather than oxydation.

I would think that you'd want some sort of protection from infection and turning to vinegar. 110-130º is prime breeding temp for lots of nasty bugs

Perhaps a fermentation lock filled with brandy would be a good choice.

Latest posts

Back