Quantcast

Airlock or not?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Woodbee

Reaction score
I have decided to try to make some Apple/Maderia. I have my Estufa/Oven about done. I am ready to fortify my wine and start the baking process. What I can't for the life of me find out is how do I cap my jugs. I know from reading, that oxidation is part of the process. But to what extent.Do I leave the jugs open,corked or do I leave an Airstop on them. I have spent way too much time on the net looking for the answer. I have found out just about everything else but this. Any ideas out there.
I just joined this board yesterday and have been wandering around the site trying to get a feel for it. There is some great stuff here. Thank you
Woodbee

cpfan

Reaction score
Woodbee:

Welcome to our little place of happy fermenters.

If I understand your question correctly, you should be putting a bung and airlock in your jug during fermentation, clearing, etc etc.

Steve

Woodbee

Reaction score
Actually Steve,My wine is done fermenting and has been cleared. It has been racked three times. I will fortify the wine with brandy to stop any further fermention. Then it will go into an oven for about three months at 110-130 degrees. I will be using wide mouth gallon jugs for the baking process and I don't know what to use to cap them if any at all.

cpfan

Reaction score
OK, that is exactly what was confusing me. I have never heard of this before, so good luck.

Steve

twissty

Reaction score
My impression is that a Maderias flavour comes from the cooking process rather than oxydation.

I would think that you'd want some sort of protection from infection and turning to vinegar. 110-130º is prime breeding temp for lots of nasty bugs

Perhaps a fermentation lock filled with brandy would be a good choice.

Latest posts