Airlock levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
So, does anyone have a link to a description, or knowledge, as how to interpret the various levels of liquid in airlocks? For example, I have three carboys with airlocks and on one the liquid is about 50/50, the second is more to one side and the third is completely to one side with nothing on the other. These have all finished fermentation, clarified and degassed, just waiting to bottle. Does it matter how the liquid is positioned? Does it mean anything?

I assume you have an "S" type airlock from the description.

If the wine is truly stable, then the airlock is most likely just acting like a "Goethe barometer" (a.k.a. "weather glass" or "water barometer"). My first guess, sight unseen, for the amount of difference may be due to the amount of head space in each carboys.

Side note: But given the extremes of the other two, I would check the one near 50/50 for air leaks.

Are you sure your wine is done fermenting? Have you taken a hydrometer reading to all three? If they are done, I would assume it is just the wine being gasy. You will need to degass before you bottle.

I assume you have an "S" type airlock from the description.

If the wine is truly stable, then the airlock is most likely just acting like a "Goethe barometer" (a.k.a. "weather glass" or "water barometer"). My first guess, sight unseen, for the amount of difference may be due to the amount of head space in each carboys.

Side note: But given the extremes of the other two, I would check the one near 50/50 for air leaks.
Thank you, this is what I found through further research as well. I will check the 50/50 one. All filled up to the neck level, but the 50/50 may be just slightly lower

Are you sure your wine is done fermenting? Have you taken a hydrometer reading to all three? If they are done, I would assume it is just the wine being gasy. You will need to degass before you bottle.
Hi Julie, yes everything was done 9/30, all hydrometer readings at dry, stabilized and degassed. Just sitting for awhile until I bottle. I was sampling - for bottling and when I reapplied fresh, sanitized airlocks I noticed the different levels and was just curious as to whether it meant anything, or not. I've never read anything specific to S type airlocks, so I thought I would ask. I did find the same as Balatonwine mentioned, that it could simply be barometric pressure or temps. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back