Airlock has gone backwards

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ldcecil

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon moscato going and it was bubbling just fine (CO2 going right to left). Last night it had evened out, but this morning all the liquid is back on the right side (opposite of when fermenting). I am sure it is fine and going to rack it today, but curious as to why that happens.DBFB5F16-7E00-4B2E-823F-FDA64F1F19A0.jpeg

Last edited:
Yep, atmospheric pressure changes or temperature changes.

You didn’t ask, but I noticed a bunch of wines sitting exposed in a fairly bright room. Light is bad for wine. If you can’t keep them in a really dark room you can cover them with towels or purpose-made carboy covers.

Last edited:
I have a 5 gallon moscato going and it was bubbling just fine (CO2 going right to left). Last night it had evened out, but this morning all the liquid is back on the right side (opposite of when fermenting). I am sure it is fine and going to rack it today, but curious as to why that happens.View attachment 100028
My question is how you get that universal bung to stay in the carboy neck. No matter what I do it slips up and breaks the seal. I will say this… the drilled bungs I have from 20 years ago work a whole lot better than any version of the new ones. Not sure what the material is but it’s different.

My question is how you get that universal bung to stay in the carboy neck. No matter what I do it slips up and breaks the seal. I will say this… the drilled bungs I have from 20 years ago work a whole lot better than any version of the new ones. Not sure what the material is but it’s different.

I can often get the bung to stick by first drying the neck of the carboy and the bung with a paper towel. Then press it in and hold it for a few seconds.

Eventually, the bung acquires a "set" (i.e., is a little deformed) and so has less tendency to slip outwards.

You need to have dry glass and a clean dry bung. I have better luck with the drilled silicone bungs. I keep a lot of different sizes on-hand.

I can often get the bung to stick by first drying the neck of the carboy and the bung with a paper towel. Then press it in and hold it for a few seconds.

Eventually, the bung acquires a "set" (i.e., is a little deformed) and so has less tendency to slip outwards.
I’ve dried the bung and neck with poor results. I even used rubbing alcohol to dry both the neck and bung

Latest posts

Back