Airlock during primary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukaswine

A work in progress
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m about to make the WE Diablo Rojo kit and it’s asking to fill the airlock with a sulphite solution that did not come with kit. It says to go To winemakeschool.com to get a recipe. I thought I could use water only ! I don’t have extra ingredients laying around! Any ideas? Thanks

You can use water only, in a pinch. You are going to need some sanitizing solutions as you go, so getting some potassium metabisulphite not provided by the kit will be required. I'm certain someone will point out that an airlock isn't required during primary fermentation and that is correct, but I am guessing this is nearly your first kit, so follow those directions and use that airlock.

This is my fourth and fifth kit. Making two at the same , a first. I have star san. I have always used a airlock during fermentation and the on the carboy.

This is my fourth and fifth kit. Making two at the same , a first. I have star san. I have always used a airlock during fermentation and the on the carboy.
@cmason1957 is absolutely right. You should follow the kit directions until you have a more solid understanding of the reasons for doing everything that is done. If the kit doesn't turn out, the manufacturer would possibly send you a new one, assuming you followed the instructions. Otherwise you're on your own. During primary fermentation, yeast needs oxygen. Putting it under an air lock will most likely slow down the fermentation, which might be the intention. The reason for sterilizing solution in the air lock is to prevent mold and bacteria from growing in there. If you use water, change it often. If you have chloramine in your drinking water instead of chlorine, you'll be better off. Chlorine dissipates in less than 24 hours. chloramine doesn't.

Edited to remove comment about StarSan.

Last edited:
Good to know you have start san. Works great in your airlock. I only user metabisulphite for sanitizing, so I never think about other choices.

Fermentation open/ Fermentation under airlock/under airlock in a carboy
Can do it any way you prefer

Airlock filled with water/filled with Sulphite solution/filled with starSan
All these work as well. Instructions are nice to have but definitely not gospel. Lots of ways to go about it. No need to worry.

Airlock filled with water/filled with Sulphite solution/filled with starSan
All these work as well. Instructions are nice to have but definitely not gospel. Lots of ways to go about it. No need to worry.
Thanks. I used Star San. I always thought you have to close the fermenter and use the airlock. Lots to learn!

Airlock filled with water/filled with Sulphite is solution/filled with starSan
thank you!

You can use water only, in a pinch. You are going to need some sanitizing solutions as you go, so getting some potassium metabisulphite not provided by the kit will be required. I'm certain someone will point out that an airlock isn't required during primary fermentation and that is correct, but I am guessing this is nearly your first kit, so follow those directions and use that airlock.
So, I have a choice to leave the small opening absent of the airlock and ferment?

So, I have a choice to leave the small opening absent of the airlock and ferment?
If your question is “For primary fermentation, can I put the lid on and leave the air lock hole open?” Then the answer is not quite. You should cover the hole with something so bugs don’t get in. Many will leave the lid off and cover the fermenter with a towel, secured some how to keep it from falling in. You could put the lid on without snapping it down (makes it easier to remove) and cover the hole with a towel or solid bung or air lock with solution. These option make it easy to stir the must daily to introduce oxygen, but once again, for a kit, follow the included instructions.

If your question is “For primary fermentation, can I put the lid on and leave the air lock hole open?” Then the answer is not quite. You should cover the hole with something so bugs don’t get in. Many will leave the lid off and cover the fermenter with a towel, secured some how to keep it from falling in. You could put the lid on without snapping it down (makes it easier to remove) and cover the hole with a towel or solid bung or air lock with solution. These option make it easy to stir the must daily to introduce oxygen, but once again, for a kit, follow the included instructions.
Thanks

Keeping bugs and germs out of your must is priority. Weather you do it with an airlock or cloth as KCcam , suggested, is up to you. I have one bucket that doesn't seal well so an airlock there is useless so I put on the lid, wrap a jacket over top and tie it down so sour flies have no access even to must under the lip of the cover.

If a sour fly dies in airlock it can leave bacteria that will spoil the wine. That's a big reason why Sulphites or sometimes high proof alcohol is used.

Keeping bugs and germs out of your must is priority. Weather you do it with an airlock or cloth as KCcam , suggested, is up to you. I have one bucket that doesn't seal well so an airlock there is useless so I put on the lid, wrap a jacket over top and tie it down so sour flies have no access even to must under the lip of the cover.

If a sour fly dies in airlock it can leave bacteria that will spoil the wine. That's a big reason why Sulphites or sometimes high proof alcohol is used.
Thank you .

Latest posts

Back