Airlock backpressure into carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smok1

Reaction score
Have you guys ever had airlocks suck the solution into the wine during aging? Checked on my carboys today and 2/7 airlocks ( one S type and one three piece type) were pulling the solution into my carboys.

Temp couldnt have changed more than a degree. Cold room is surrounded by 3 concrete walls and is always 68-69f i have a thermostat alarm in the room that is set min 67 and high alarm 72

I came across a couple of times when I did cider with the original plastic container, when the shape of the plastic changes. Haven't seen this with glass carboy.

The S type should not pull solution into the carboy if filled properly. The 3 piece airlocks can, that's why I don't use them. Vodka is a good choice for traps while aging. They evaporate slower and if a little gets sucked in like you're experiencing, it's no big deal.

I guess ill have to keep a closer eye on it, im not too worried about the solution getting into the wine, was just a teaspoon or less worth of kmeta solution. Just curious why this happened, i tryed to get the local barometric reports but only can find last couple of days worth.

Yep, the barometric pressures can do that to you. Usually with the s-locks, tho, they will just bubble backwards not suck the liquid. Bet you have them a bit overfull. Not much to worry about. Arne.

I'll go with Arne.. If there's enough liquid in the trap to get sucked back'erds, it's overfilled !! They put those "fill-lines" on there for a reason.

Look its doing it again.

In the first two pictures you can see theres more pressure on the atmospheric side of the bubbler than in the bottle. Same with the 3 piece, the water has almost climbed up the inner tube. This is two different carboys than yesterday. Granted the 3 piece might be overfilled by by a few drops but its not more than 1/8" above the fill line. And the s-type is showing either my house is having some positive pressure issues or my wine is going into a negative, wondering if i vaccum racked my wine too hard during reracking.

IMG_3490.jpg

IMG_3491.jpg

IMG_3492.jpg

IMG_3493.jpg

Last edited:
Just checked barometric pressures. They changed from 101kpa to 102.6kpa since yesterday. Not sure if this is enough of a change to see a difference in a bubbler like im seeing. I think im going to order those solid vented silicon bungs

Not happening to me since switching to Saran Wrap for my bulk aging carboy "air locks". I will on occasion see either convexing and concaving of the wrap due to, I believe, changes in atmospheric pressure.

Not happening to me since switching to Saran Wrap for my bulk aging carboy "air locks". I will on occasion see either convexing and concaving of the wrap due to, I believe, changes in atmospheric pressure.

I think im gonna borrow that idea from you and switch my airlocks out for saran and an elastic band today. At least until i can order some waterless ventable bungs

Last edited:
Just checked barometric pressures. They changed from 101kpa to 102.6kpa since yesterday. Not sure if this is enough of a change to see a difference in a bubbler like im seeing. I think im going to order those solid vented silicon bungs

waterless is the only was to go vintable.com

r

Latest posts

Back