Airing cupboard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evo676

Junior
Reaction score
Hi, I am a total novice to winemaking. I purchased a Wilko white wine starter kit and have just done my first batch. Is it OK to put the Demijohn in my airing cupboard during fermentation.

It’s ok. Just not ideal. Better for reds than whites. White ferments benefit from ambient temps a few degrees colder than typical room temperature.
The hotter the cupboard then the faster the wine will ferment- a fast ferment doesn’t allow enough time for all the magic to happen So 60°F-65°F I think is roughly ideal temps for whites. And ~70°F for reds.
Also it’s a good idea to look up recommended temps for the yeast included. What is the yeast btw?

Thanks for reply. I'm not sure about the yeast as it was included in the Wilko starter kit. How do I know when fermentation has finished. The instructions say to top up the Demijohn up to the 4.5ltr mark with cooled boiled water on the 3rd day. It is the 3td day now, but the Airlock is still bubbling, not sure whether to add more water or not.

Get out your hydrometer. If you are going to continue with this hobby it is best to have one. Taking reading with one can tell you where you are at with the ferment, approx. how much alcohol by volume is in your batch and when the batch has finished fermenting. If it goes dry it is generally considered done when your specific gravity measures below 1.000 and it stays the same for at least 3 days in a row. You are probably going to get tired hearing about the hydrometer thing, but it is how you tell what is happening and they are not very expensive, about $10 or less. Have to be careful with them tho as they are fragile. Arne.

Hydrometer is the first thing you will hear about. What is the Specific Gravity is the second thing you'll hear about. .Read the post on how to read a hydrometer on this forum. It really is an ice hobby, besides you get to drink wine!
Welcome to the forum

Those Wilko kits are European correct?
Seems like an odd step- to add water on day 3. Maybe it’s for the purpose of ensuring yeast will take off in a more concentrated volume. And adding more once it’s underway maybe?
Without a hydrometer you’ll know when it’s finished when you don’t see any more visible activity. Usually about a week for kits.
-when in doubt follow those instructions. I’m sure there’s a good reason for it.

Last edited:
I would not trust lack of visible activity as a sign that fermentation has finished.

Back