Air-Locks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedvine

Tony (Twisted Vine)
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to one type of air lock over another, I've been using the 3 piece air lock and find it easy to clean. Not sure about the other types.

Those are easier to clean but for some reason dry out much mich quicker and are harder to see whats going on with your wine as far as bubbling. The three pc is also much shorter so if you are vertically limited stay with those.

Glass ones break. One piece I like the best but I have used the multi piece. The single piece (plus cap) rarely if ever dries out over my bulk age time of 10 months. Plus it's easier to detect fermentation or CO2 escaping from the one piece.

I use both. The one piece is cheaper and simpler (less parts to loose or match up). I use the 3 piece for very active ferments and the one piece later on when the frement slows. I find that with the one piece, you can see subtle signs of action in the airlock without waiting a long time for a bubble to pop through.

I also have had on occassion, water back up on the 3 piece and go into the wine. With the 1 piece, the bubble just gurgles backwards.

I used 3 pieces at first, but for reasons already mentioned I now use only 1-piece airlocks. Even when there are no visible bubbles in your wine, with a 1-piece you can tell if anything is still going on fairly easily. Just look at where the bubble is, and several minutes later look again. Also, most times when a fermentation really is complete, the 1-piece will "balance out" the water level on both sides which is a very obvious way to easily tell that fermentation has stopped. There is no method to tell this with a 3-piece. I have not had a 1-piece dry out to the point of air getting in, and I have actually let some sit unwatched for over a year, so that says a lot I think. Since I only do 1-gallon batches, I see no need for a 3-piece, even a ridiculously active primary fermentation does not put out too much gas for the 1-piece to handle.

Isn't it interesting how we call it a three piece (two peices plus a cap) while we call the other kind a one piece (one piece plus a cap).

That said, I use both but agree with all the above statements about ease of visuals.

I use both - and this is the first time i have used the S shaped airlock - and it does show more activity than the 3 piece does.

I like to use the 3 piece will fermentation is still going on - and have adapted the S airlock post fermentation.

I started with the 2pc but now use only the S shaped one pc. :h :b

I like the "S" kind (1 pc, I never have the cap on). This way you can also see pressure especially during MLF.

I like the "S" kind (1 pc, I never have the cap on). This way you can also see pressure especially during MLF.

Hi Tom,

Just curious why you don't use the cap.

The cap is really irrelevant as the water keeps the airlock. The cap may in certain instances keep KRITTERS out....fruit flies etc.

Your liquid will evaporate quicker without a cap. Some of my airlocks have numerous tiny holes in them and have minute vents around the sides. I've had the water evap. quicker in them.

I tend NOT to use these.

Back