Air Conditioning out!! My wine storage area temp increased so...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stefani

Twitter: @John_A_Stefani
Reaction score
Our air conditioner broke down and Monday with the sweltering heat we called someone to look at it -Result - It needs to be replaced.

Because of scheduling, they won't be able to replace it until Tuesday! It's been over 90F at day and no color than 75F at night.

I normally keep my wine under the stairs. Its cooler in our basement than the upstairs but, it too is has reached 80 degrees. My Wife and I will be sleeping in the basement until it gets fix or until it cools this weekend.

I have moved all my wine to a spare refrigerator to help preserve it. Once the A/C is replaced and the basement temp decreases I'll move it back to the wine racks under the stairs.

I have been holding off starting any new batches for another week or two.

thumb2_p1060418-1881.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to hear that Stefani. Our AC went out the night before the first predicted heat wave of the year for our area. Took us a week to get a new unit put in. As the techs were doing all the work they showed us the damage to the power grid, etc...they determined we took a lightning hit and actually followed the path of the strike to the fuse box. Took out our water softener also. We called our homeowners insurance, now this was a week after the fact, and they came right out wrote the claim and handed us a check. We were actually very fortunate the entire house did not catch fire. All electrical was inspected. It was so bizarre, we knew the time the AC quite working, our insurance company was able to confirm with local weather office that lightning did in fact hit within so many feet of our home at that time. Amazed me.
Fortunately the heat wave only lasted a few days and the temperature in the house never hit more than 80 during the heat of the day and quickly cooled off. The basement stayed in the low 70s, so that is where any working wine was moved to. All bottled wine is already down there in a "cave".

My cellar gets to 80º almost every summer. It is 80º right now. All I do is check corks and levels on carboys. I usually have to take some wine out of each carboy to insure no over flows into the locks. It happened a few years ago but never again. If I find a bottle with the cork out a little bit, I am forced to drink it.

Richard L.

Back