Ahhhhhgggg

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandst

Reaction score
They're multiplying. Stopped by the wine supply shop in P'cola today while I was out researching routes to a local winery for next months drive. I needed to pick up a bung for a wide mouth 1 gallon jug and bought my 3rd 'boy while I was there. Now he sits next to his brothers empty, waiting for his first taste of wine, that wonderous liquid that is turning me in to a wine lunatic.
smiley32.gif
Will be able to rack my raspberry to the jug tomorrow as planned now that I have the right bung though, pics to follow in that thread.

Steve

smiley32.gif
I'm starting to think this is more of a possession or cult rather than anaddiction! Kind of like Stepford or something. It starts with a little kit and then next thing you know you're corrupting glass containers!
smiley36.gif

I feel your pain (joy) Branst,

I went to the local store last week for 1, only 1 package of yeast and ended up with my 3rd 6 gallon carboy and a bag full of chemicals! I now haveone 3 gallon, three 6 gallon, five or six 4 liters, a dozen 3 liters, and four 1.5 liter jugs. Before I started my firstbatch (a 4 liter) last year, I told myself, "all you need is 1 jug and a bucket to make your wine"
smiley36.gif
I need a bigger basement!
smiley5.gif

Next will come the 2nd or 3rd mortgage on your home to build that climate controlled wine cellar
smiley36.gif

Hi all

It mite be an addiction, cult,passion,or what ever you want to call it BUT AINT IT FUNNNNNNN.

Harry
smiley32.gif

I know the feeling, I bottled my first batch last night. The empty carboy is killing me
smiley19.gif

My wife and I are looking at moving sometime around July-August to the Nashville area so I don't want to start something that I can't have bottled by then. But, the poor 'boys just look so lonely when they are empty I just want to get something going just so they don't feel left out. The only thing I think really stopping me right now is I want to keep one empty 'boy ready to rack into for clearing or bottling the wines that are in 'boys already, thoug I've been thinking of using my primary for bottling purposes. I don't want to have to move the wine from the 'boy to the primary, give the 'boy his bath, then move the wine back. Just a bit easier on everyone involved if it is just moved once.

Steve

Steve-

Next week when I bottle, I will rack to my primary to bottle (so I can use my on/off valve on my spigot). I didn't even think to let it settle for 24hr or so to let additional sediment settle. I guess I would just cover it with it's lid. Is this ok to do??

I though I was alone with this passion. But there are lotts of us out here. Yes I talk to my boys Carboys that is. and THe yeasties. and the brew belts and the bottles in the racks. Nothing sadder than an empty carboy and nothing in the primary fermenter. Down right depressing. Open another bottle.

djcoop,

You do not want to rack your wine to the primary and then let it sit for 24 hours before you bottle. This will expose the wine to way too much oxygen and oxygen is our enemy. When it is time to bottle and you rack to the primary you need to avoid racking any sediment. If you have a little bit of wine left with sediment you can bottle it separately and save it for toping up a later batch.

Latest posts

Back